Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory upgrade

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 maddarlo

maddarlo

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

Hello,

I'd like to upgrade my PC's memory and I wondered if I someone could give me a few pointers about how to go about doing that.

I have a Fujitsu-Seimens Scaleo T desktop computer. I've had it about three years and installed a new motherboard (an Elitegroup K8M800-M2) and a new processor (AMD Sempron 1.6 gH) a year or so ago.

According to Belarc Advisor, I have a total RAM memory of 512MB - 256MB in slot A0 and another 256MB in slot A1.

I just need to know the following:

* What is the maximum amount of memory I can install - and how do I find that figure out?

* What is the best type (not too expensive though!)

* Should I split the memory between the two (or four) memory slots - or stick it all in one slot on one memory stick?

Thanks very much for reading this and I look forward to hearing from you.

Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

You can go to crucial.com, and run their system scanner.
It'll tell you what type of memory you have, and the max you can use.
Then, go to a place like newegg to purchase it.
You'll be able to get it cheaper.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:11 PM

Be sure to check newegg's shipping charges. Crucial ships free of charge
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 maddarlo

maddarlo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:43 AM

Cheers guys! I'll have a look. Are there any similar sites for getting new processors as well?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

www.newegg.com for newer, www.tigerdirect.com for older versions that Newegg may not have.

Comparative shopping helps, with free shipping often offsetting what appears to be lower pricing.

Louis

#6 maddarlo

maddarlo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:40 PM

Hi guys, thanks again for your help.

OK, I did the Crucial scan and here are the results (below). It appears that I can get memory of up to 2GB (two sticks of 1GB each? would that be best?)

If anyone could recommend the best memory to buy - at a good price, I'd be really grateful.

Here's what crucial.com said:

Guaranteed-compatible memory upgrades for your Crucial Scanner Results Standard VIA K8M Motherboard .
We were not able to determine the manufacturer and/or model of your PC, but we were able to complete our scan with information from your motherboard.

2GB Total

512MB current memory removed *

2GB new memory added

*1GB *1GB

45.98 inc. VAT*
[X]
Part No: CT12864Z335
Qty: 2

19.99 ex. VAT
22.99 inc. VAT* ea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Price: 39.98 ex. VAT
45.98 inc. VAT*

Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
Available Memory Slots: 0
Number of Banks: 2
Dual Channel Support: No
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Sempron™ Processor 2800+ Model 12, Stepping 2
CPU Speed: 1599 MHz

Q: Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?

A: Possibly

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found at http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=4251.

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and can I mix speeds?

A: DDR memory with support for DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 speeds.

Because DDR memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR speeds listed below, even if your manual calls for PC1600 or PC2100 speeds.

Q: How much memory can my computer handle?

A: 2048MB.

Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: No.

No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?

Your system does not support dual channel.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?

Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

Then it recommends the following 1GB sticks:

1GB
Part #: CT12864Z335 DDR PC2700 CL=2.5 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR333 2.5V 128Meg x 64 more details

1GB
Part #: CT12864Z40B DDR PC3200 CL=3 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR400 2.6V 128Meg x 64 more details

Thanks again, guys. I look forward to hearing from you!

#7 maddarlo

maddarlo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

Hi! Can someone please reply? Many thanks! :-)

Edited by maddarlo, 18 December 2008 - 04:55 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

Crucial is probably the best place to buy RAM which is not high on today's lists.

Rather than shop around and possibly wind up with what you don't need...eliminate the gamble and count on excellent support, if needed.

You can mix speeds...but that is not the way to go. Get identical specs, 2 modules of the same RAM.

Frankly, although I like and use ECS/PC Chips boards...I would not think of buying RAM for that board/CPU. PC3200 costs significantly more than DDR2 today and I would prefer to at least move "more forward" rather than backward when it comes to paying for PC3200 or DDR2.

I would look for a motherboard bundle (since you have installed a board before) that meets with your projected capability to spend...and install same, along with DDR2 RAM.

Along with that, you can enjoy the benefits of dual-processors at entry-level prices...which would be a noteworthy step to take as 2009 approaches. It doesn't take a lot of money to improve your system and do yourself a small favor.

Examples:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...417|&Sort=4

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....14&name=ECS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813135096

Louis

Edit: If you elect to buy components from TD or Newegg, might as well get the RAM from them also. Deals available.

Edit #2: And remember that inventories are year-end and prices on all of yesterday's new components...will drop as inventories are written down to make way for 2009 products, actual and anticipated.

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2008 - 08:19 PM.

#9 enmassecomm

enmassecomm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

I agree with the above post. Do not mix speeds or manufacturers just to save a couple of dollars. Get identical RAM for both slots. I have had bad experiences when the RAM does not match. Odd lockups, blue screens. Save yourself the headache.

I have had excellent luck with both Crucial and Kingston RAM over the last ten years.

One thing to consider. Make sure you are grounded when you install the RAM. The newer the RAM the more sensitive to static electricity. Buy a wrist strap and use it when tinkering inside a computer, well worth the investment.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:03 PM

No one uses wrist straps, at least I've never seen anyone use them, but they are a good investment if you want to be extra safe. If you don't have one, discharge the static electricity by touching an unpainted portion of the PC case and don't walk around. If you can hear or feel the static electricity, the board is certainly toast. You can still fry components even if you don't hear or feel the shock. Always try to install the fastest RAM your PC can handle. Install all matching sticks from the same company if you can. Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, and G-Skill are all very good companies. Normally, I suggest using Newegg, but since you're quoting in British Pounds, you're in the U.K. and cannot use that company. Tigerdirect has a U.K. affiliate, Misco.

3939.png

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:22 PM

<<No one uses wrist straps,...>>

LOL, too good :thumbsup:.

I was just thinking what you expressed...when I read your post...that's pretty funny :huh:.

I actually bought one back in 1998 or so, when I was afraid of tinkering...I think I used it one time and realized that there are simpler ways to ground oneself, if one wants to do that.

Louis

#12 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:22 AM

I just constantly touch the case prior to sticking my hand inside to discharge any possibility of static electricity. Haven't had a problem yet (knock on dead wood). :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users