Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix worked when nothing else did

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kheston

kheston

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

First, Thanks! I created a log in for BleepingComputer primarily so I could say just how impressed I was by ComboFix!

I had a complete backup image of the infected PC so I figured I'd give it a host without asking for help first.

To make it work, I had to rename the EXE and shutdown as many services/processes as possible before it would run but when it did, it found the rootkit-based malware that was plaguing me and eradicated it.

My developer's curiosity leads me to wonder what special mojo you guys are using to get around these increasingly resilient bots but I'm happy to keep just wondering so long as it keeps the bad guys ignorant.

Thanks again!

--Kurt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

kheston, Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
I'm glad Combofix worked for you, and that your system did not experience any issues when you used it.

However, to all others who read this topic:

Please note the message text in blue at the top of the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

ComboFix It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when
instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained in the use of the program.
ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance
and supervision of an expert
", NOT for private use.
Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.. Using this tool incorrectly could
lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing
it from ever starting again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users