Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The blue uninstall directories in my Windows folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 john Schultz

john Schultz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:07 PM

After I installed the updates for Windows XP, I noticed in the Windows directory all the new uninstall folders in blue. There are 116 folders and are 213mb. My question is, can I delete these folders or will it have an effect on my computer?

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:24 PM

Let them be, they were put there for a reason. :thumbsup:

#3 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

Hello John,

The following link provides a good description of those "uninstall" folders. Basically, they contain the files/information necessary to uninstall a Microsoft update if you should encounter problems with that update.

If you choose to delete one or more of them, it is a 2-step process -- first, delete the folder, and second, delete the entry in "Add/Remove Programs":

"What are the $NTUninstall folders? Can they be deleted?":

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Hotfix_backup.htm

Note that if you do delete one of these folders, you will not be able to uninstall the corresponding Microsoft update.

#4 john Schultz

john Schultz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

Thank you M... for the link. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Although, the other day, I went to uninstall Norton Anti-Virus from System Works 2003 and uninstaled the whole thing by mistake. I also uninstalled Norton WMI. After I rebooted I was unable to connect to the internet. I called AT&T and figured out that from uninstalling what I did a file must have been deleted tht I needed. So I ended up doing a install of XP over the original. When I got to the install screen I hit R for repair and it reinstalled XP over what I had. By doing that most of the hotfixes and updates I installed were gone, or atleast not showing up in Add-Remove programs. So I figured I had sp3 on my D: drive and went ahead and installed that. That got rid of most of the directories I was asking about. So now i'm all up to date and all is good.

Thank you for you info M... Had I have needed it, the link you sent me would have answered my question perfectly...

Have a good holiday..

John Schultz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users