Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CASE

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:22 AM

I have the omega drivers for my vid card (nVidia GeForce 4 MX 420 64mb) and I have recently found the overclocking settings for it... I have a Dell Dimension 4550 (wrapped in plastic) I have all the stock fans for it, should I or should I not overclock my card without making any modifications to my case first?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:18 AM

Dear lego,

I have used omega on my ATI stuff and it seems ok. In reality, overclocking your computer could cause serious damage on your system.

If you do overclock, make sure you return to defaults after.

Meaning you return to default settings after you play the game.

If you forget, you will see some problems...then your computer will shut off.

Of course we will be here to help you when that happens.

Good Luck,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:17 PM

any suggestions as to what modifications i should do to increase cooling performance? i have LOTS of computer fans laying around, i was thinking of hooking them up to little AAA batteries and tape them to the inside or outside of the case making sure that either they are blowing or sucking... thanx for any enlightenment lol

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:38 AM

i know it is sunday today and alot of ppl are sleeping in and whatnot lol... but i am getting restless over here... i want to overclock my vid card so badly but i want somebody to help my with my last post in this thread. plz? (see i asked even though i was being rude)

I have some 386 and 486 CPU fans laying around, I will rip apart some of my old comps to get more fans, but is there any other way?

Edited by legoman786, 15 May 2005 - 08:35 PM.

- Rick Cook

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:10 AM

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve exactly, but you're wasting your time (and money) trying to drive the fans with batteries - I'd say they would last about 15 minutes? There's plenty of power available from your system PSU to drive fans - just buy a drive-power extension cable or 'Y' splitter cable and cut the female end off. Then you can connect your bank of fans (connected in parallel) to a spare hard drive power cable. Just make sure you cover all bared wires or soldering with insulating tape before you switch anything on. You could even add a switch so you can turn the beggars off (or down to 5volts) when you don't need them.

You can use Speedfan or Everest to monitor your system and possibly AGP temperatures in real time. Everest download

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:15 PM

i am trying to acheive better cooling performance... thanx for the link to EVEREST

also i have hooked up a P2 CPU fan (took off Heat sink first) to my GPU heatsink... i'll see if that cools things down.

- Rick Cook

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:03 AM

i am trying to acheive better cooling performance

Yes I sort of guessed that, but I didn't get why? Are you getting thermal shutdowns now you are overclocking? or are some components running very hot?

If you are concerned about GPU overheating there is some kind of GPU cooler card you can install, It's been mentioned on this board before but i don't have the details myself.

Update: found it - it was from junkdk!

I recommend a Vantec Fan card for your mini to cool your vid card. You will see some big changes.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:36 AM

thanx, i'll ask my dad to go down to UltraMedia (biggest computer store in Tucson) and pick up this Vantec Fan...

also a question about the Everest program, where is the temperature watch? i cant seem to find it...

anyways thanx again for helping me.

- Rick Cook

#9 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:27 AM

I have put a total of 4 fans in and now there are 5 in my case... I turned it on and left it for 15 mins... the air that was coming out felt like winters air compared to the temperature of the air before the fan upgrade!!! I have overclocked my card a few times now, not too much but enough to make a diference in my games FPS... I will look further into fans that are made for the applications I have them doing :thumbsup: ... They do work, all of them... heres what I have hooked up... 1 P2 CPU fan (heatsink removed) to the GPU, theres no fan connected DIRECTLY to that CPU heatsink so I connected an AMD K6 CPU fan (heatsink removed) to the side blowing into the heatsink and the 120mm that was already there pulls that air out also the AMD fan sucks the air off the RAM too so thats a good thing... I have a 486 CPU fan (heatsink removed) sucking in air, and finally I have a 80mm PSU fan cooling the HD... totalling 5 fans, I wonder what the temperature is inside...

- Rick Cook

#10 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:03 AM

Ok Lego,

Why are you overclocking?

What games are you playing?

What Dell platform are you using?

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#11 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:31 AM

One of the main things to consider when overclocking is as you are aware, heat transferrence. That said you should also realise that cooling is NOT about how many fans you have but rather where they are are and how efficient their placement is. For example, if i had four fans and just whacked them in without worrying about airflow direction it would be possible that all airflow is directed inwards therefore the only place for the warm air to go would be to the middle of the motherboard, right where most of the heat needs to be removed. The cpu and video card would suffer because they are being force fed warm air. Remember for efficient cooling you need to expell the same amount of air that is drawn in, so check the direction you may need to turn them around. If you keep a clean case (wiring-wise) and space your hard disks and video cards with room for the fan and heatsinks to draw in PASSING cool air while your fan set up can expell the warm air from your case. Failing that get a watercooling setup, this type is getting more commonm less expensive and more relliable. They aren't too hard to set up and guess what? they don't even leak IF you install them right. But you may already know this if you do.....sorry it was rather long winded.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:48 AM

about the Everest program, where is the temperature watch?

Click the plus sign beside 'Computer' then click 'Sensor'.

#13 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:36 AM

I have a Dell Demension 4550, with a Dimension 4550 Intel Motherboard, I have a P4 2.53ghz CPU, and I have reason to believe that my PSU fan is going bad.

Dear... everybody,

I have checked and double checked the flow of all the fans and its perfect. I have a 30mm fan on the front of the case sucking in air, I have a 120mm fan and an 80mm (PSU) fan blowing it out. I have an AMD K6 CPU fan on the CPU heatsink blowing air onto the heatsink, then the 120mm sucks it out. It also sucks the air from the memory. Last, but not least, I have an 80mm PSU fan that I pulled out from a 20 year old Dell (how ironic), and stuck it in the space in-between the CD drives and the HD. It blows onto the HD. Hope I helped you guys some as to where my fans are.

junkdk, I have some graphically demanding games that I just hate running at the lowest settings, because I have played them at the highest and my friends' houses.

a little fact you guys should know about me, I'm not being rude or anything, but I think you guys should know this. I have been building computers with my dad for almost 8 years now, so I know EXACTLY where to place the fans and whether they should suck or blow (meaning direction of airflow). Nothing more, nothing less.

God I hate these double meanings in the teenagers' minds. I am one too :thumbsup: .

Edited by legoman786, 18 May 2005 - 08:50 AM.

- Rick Cook

#14 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:18 PM

My PSU fan is going bad... Now I am really mad, I need to find one that is compatible with my PSU.

- Rick Cook

#15 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:11 PM

I pulled a stunt over a lame CPU fan, works great. I used some scrap sheetmetal to make a bracket for a big 80mm fan, and made a short duct out of a soda can and mounted that so when I attached the new fan to the back of the case the can duct end would rest nicely over the CPU fan. Then I connected the electrics on the 80mm fan so its power was (along with the old CPU fan's) being drawn from the drive connector 12V rail but its RPM signal was being fed to the mainboard in lieu of the dead signal from the CPU fan.

Stopped all those lame BIOS stalls over the CPU fan slowing up...
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users