Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Convert Toshiba Laptop to Desktop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mcdriver

mcdriver

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:56 PM

I have a Toshiba P25-S609, very fast machine. Something is wrong with the power hook-up or supply and battery connection.

Have replaced battery and the ac converter brick.

Have had Toshiba authorized service center look at it and he says cannot be repaired. Something about the way toshiba cast some of these pieces into the frame or chasis of the laptop.

The machine is very fast but simply turns off after about 1 hour or if I have been using it, the power connection just disappears.

I would like to keep the components, install in a well ventilated case and use for desktop graphic design and image editing.

Is this a viable idea?

Details of Machine :

Intel Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
Family F, Model 2 Stepping 9
Ext Family F, Ext Model 2, Revision D1

2.99 Ghz, 1.00GB of ram

Bios: PhoenixBios 4.0 Release 6.0
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.0Ghx, 2 CPUs
Codename: Northwood
Brand ID: 9
Package Socket 478 mPGA
Technology: 0.13
Mem: 1022 MB Ram
Intel ICHx Slave

Motherboard Toshiba, BTQ00
Chipset Intel i865P/PE?G/i848P Rev A2
Southbridge Intel, 82801EB (ICH5)

Memory Type = DDR Channels # Dual
Size = 1024 MB
Dram Freq = 133.0 MHz
Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO

Hard Disk
HTS548080M9AT00
Firmware: MG4OA53A

Memory type is DDR
Module Rows : 2
Levels : 2.5V
Parity : NO PARITY
Refresh Rate : 7.8us
Total Size : 512MB
Decoding DIMM #2
Memory type is DDR
Module Rows : 2
Levels : 2.5V
Parity : NO PARITY
Refresh Rate : 7.8us
Total Size : 512MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Distant

Distant

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

I don't think this will work, the main reason being that when you put the motherboard into the new case the holes won't line up at all. I don't really know though, I have never heard of or tried this idea.

#3 mcdriver

mcdriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

thanks for your reply

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

Besides having to custom mount the system board and drives there is also the problem of connections. Then there's the power supply. I don't want to sound condescending, but for you to even ask this question means you have no business even trying to do this

It would be interesting to know what is exactly broke for the tech to say that. It might take some time, but all parts can be found. He just didn't want to take the time

Edited by garmanma, 14 December 2008 - 06:35 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 silverpl105

silverpl105

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:41 AM

I had never heard about that before.

#6 mcdriver

mcdriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:03 AM

Th female part where the ac adapter cord plugs in is cast with a piece that also has the connections for the battery to slide into. I can't tell exactly what has gone wrong but sometimes the lights don't come on when it is plugged up and sometimes it doesn't acknowledge that the battery is present. whenever the right combination happens, the machine just turns off. no shutdown, just one second everything is fine and the next the computer is off.

Maybe I need to take it to another repair place. It is a very fast machine with a brilliant display, so I hate to give up on it.

Thanks for all of your replies.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

That's the DC power jack. The part itself is only $10, but you need specialized soldering equipment to do the job. I've seen shops do it between $50-$100
They are a weak link on a laptop
If you do get it fixed, I would recommend adding a swivel connection to the plug
If you can't find a place and are willing to ship it, I can recommend a shop. I don't have the website offhand
I'm sure he will be happy to give you a quote
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users