Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

message "HARDWARE MALFUNCTION" The System Has Haltef

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CoralReef

CoralReef

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

Hi guys,
I really hope someone can help.

Our pc started a few days ago to behave rather weirdly, firslty and most commonly the display would freeze while XP was loading. We had to switch the computer off manually and then turn it on again possibly multiple times for things to work normally again. Sometimes it works, but sometimes (too many times) we get to the regular desktop icons but then the mouse gets stuck and ctrl-alt-del doesn't work as well as none of the other commands, and we are only left with the usual possibility of switching the thing off manually...
Well we thought it might be a dust problem so decided to clean the computer first, and so did it using the proper tools - not vacuum cleaners or other aggressive things. But today things changed again for worse as my hubby was using VLC player when suddenly the BSOD appeared saying only the following words:

HARDWARE MALFUNCTION Hardware Malfunction Call your hardware vendor for support. The system has halted.

Switching the computer on again brought up the same problems described above, until after a few times we managed to make it work so here I am now writing to you.

Please, help?

Info about the system:

Packard Bell NEC
IMEDIA 5302
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0170

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version: 5.1.2600
Service Pack: 2.0
Memoria (RAM) 1 GB

Processor
IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.00GHz
x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3
2992 MHz

I have an external hdd too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:04 AM

Because it is such a generic error message, It's hard to offer specific solutions
Here is a checklist of what to look for:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315223
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users