Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defunct Folder Options

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aeh2019

aeh2019

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:58 AM

I recently had a Brontok.E virus and removed it manually by removing it's registry entries and deleting it's files from my windows directory. Now when I open folder options and uncheck the box "Hide extensions for known filetypes" I still can't see any file's extension. How can I fix this?

Edit- It's working now, but any idea on why it happened?

Edited by aeh2019, 14 December 2008 - 02:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:56 PM

Some malware infections target and place restrictions in the registry and how files are executed. After fixing, the fix may not take affect until after you reboot your computer or restart Windows Explorer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users