Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java stopped working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gsk111

gsk111

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:47 AM

I recently had a nasty malware problem (spywareguard 2008) and had to run several programs to get rid of it. It's gone, but now Java seems to have stopped working in any of the web browsers I tried using (IE7, Firefox 2 or Google Chrome). I tried removing all instances of Java and reinstalling. I have J2SE 1.5.11 and JRE 6.11. I also checked my IE settings so that Java is checked but still no Java applets will run in any web pages. Can anyone help with this issue please?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hi gsk111,

Did you uninstall using add-remove programs? Did you reboot before you installed the new one? This is important.

Also, check your IE security settings: Open Internet Explorer, click on Tools > Internet Options and click on the Security tab. Select the Internet zone
and click on the Default Level button and click OK.

Zllio

Edited by Zllio, 16 December 2008 - 01:51 PM.

#3 gsk111

gsk111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

Thank you for responding.

I tried uninstalling, rebooting, and installing Java from the java website. That seemed to fix the problem for both FireFox and Chrome. IE is still not working though. My Internet zone is set to the Default setting.

Any thoughts on that?

Thank you.

Edited by gsk111, 17 December 2008 - 08:27 PM.

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:21 AM

Try this next:

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:26 AM

I need to add a comment to my last post. If the repair of IE enables you to use it, please look for any missing security updates for Windows, as there's a recent vulnerability in IE that needs patching.

#6 gsk111

gsk111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:25 AM

Success! :thumbsup:

Thank you so much. Everything is working now. And I'm all patched up too.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users