Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stupid Wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 julesann2

julesann2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:37 AM

I have just paid my landlords in order to get onto their wireless internet. I have gotten their 'network key' password and can see their network in my available networks, but when I click on it nothing happens. In fact, rather than connect to the proper network, my computer often chooses my neighbor's network and tries to sign on to that poor signal. (I will admit, I have borrowed this neighbor's wireless in the past :0 maybe this is karma!)
If anyone can help me, I would be VERY EXCITED!!

Also, if you could explain the answer as if you were talking to an eight year old? That would also help.

Edited by julesann2, 14 December 2008 - 01:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:33 PM

When you click on the correct network, does it prompt you for the WEP (access) key, AKA the password?

#3 julesann2

julesann2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

yes it does. i know the password and have typed it in about a billion times, but when it comes up the dots that represent the password characters are not long enough... the password is 10 characters long and the dots show only 7 characters... I try retyping the password but it doesn't help.
:thumbsup:

#4 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

I would verify that you have the correct WEP/WPA key from your landlord and make them show you that its working.

As for you always connecting to your neighbours, because you have connected to them in the past, it saves that network in your history and it is probably the first preferred network to connect to if it detects it.

To delete it from the list or move it, go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right click on your Wireless Network Adapter and go to Properties > click on the Wireless tab near the top (Should be the middle tab) and then you will see a box of all the networks you have connected to. Your neighbours will probably be the first one at the top because you say your pc always connects to it. You can either delete it or move it down the list.

Hope this helps.

#5 hockeysocdad

hockeysocdad

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:36 AM

CHeck to see if MAC Address control is enaled by your landord .....your devices Mac address needs to be entered into the router s/w if it is. ....otherwise the router will "deny" access, even though you can see the router.

Strange that all keys are seen as dots .....be sure the type of key / security is consistent .....128 bit, WPA, vs WEP, etc.

#6 julesann2

julesann2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

Strange development... I was able to connect for no apparent reason to my landlord's network. BUT ONLY FOR ONE DAY!! I have since not been able to connect and I'm not entirely sure what variables have changed!!

Thanks for all your suggestions, I have tried them with no recent success.
Any more ideas? Keep 'em coming!
Thanks!

#7 julesann2

julesann2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

*gasp* it's working right now! What variables should I be looking at to determine what to do next time it's out?? I wrote down the IP address and subnet mask that it's using etc. Anything else that could help me??

#8 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:26 PM

Your really doing the right thing. I mean, your IP may change. The router might just lease you the same IP. Your subnet mask will not change. Who knows why you had so much trouble. We don't know how your landlord has their router set up. They could have settings that are not set up right and it is giving you trouble connecting.

In a way, its kind of hard to troubleshoot on that end when you do not have access to the routers settings.

#9 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:01 AM

Lets hope it keeps working for yah.

Sounds to me this Landlord could use a chrash course in setting up a wireless network. :thumbsup:
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users