Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Freezes shortly after startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Damo1234

Damo1234

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:55 AM

I turn on my computer, everything seems to be going okay for a while. Different startup programs start up, like AIM, Norton, superantispyware, and a few cursor and monitor things.

I can open folders, even open some files and programs.

And then the computer seems to basically hang up, every time.

If I click on a window, I will get an hourglass that freezes. I can move my cursor but nothing works any more. I can click ALT-TAB and try to navigate between programs, but the programs won't come up when I select them.

Safe Mode (and safe mode with Networking) work fine, and that's how I'm posting here.

Superantispyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware haven't found anything.

Norton's telling me I have W32.Jeefo (which is going to be a PITA to get rid of, since I'll apparently have to replace every infected program), but I think that's unrelated - I had it a week before this problem started. It's not telling me about any other problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

Please reboot your computer and update Malwarebytes. This time do a FULL scan and post the new log here
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Damo1234

Damo1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1500
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/14/2008 3:28:25 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-14 (15-28-25).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 218174
Time elapsed: 50 minute(s), 24 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

Does Norton still show a problem?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Delphi51

Delphi51

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

Different startup programs start up, like AIM, Norton, superantispyware, and a few cursor and monitor things.

I think you are onto something here. The timing of the stall suggests that it is a startup program that runs late in the startup sequence. You might be able to spot the problem by running Task Manager (ctrl+alt+delete) as soon as you can and then watching the processes load and in particular the CPU column showing their use of the processor. If my theory is correct, one of those CPU numbers ought to go high just as the machine stalls. If it is an add-on program, you could then try preventing it from running (start-run MSconfig and uncheck the offending item in the startup tab, reboot) to see if that solves the problem.

A trial-and-error approach using MSconfig to temporarily disable some startup programs might be useful in identifying the cause of the stall.

Personally, I would also be suspicious of Norton. I would set it to not run using its own settings, then reboot and see if the problem has gone away. Norton could be messed up or just working too hard for you - perhaps you have set it to scan your hard drive every day and it is busy trying to do that, which can bring a computer to a standstill until it is finished. If Norton is causing the stall, reducing the scan frequency, reinstalling Norton or installing a less aggressive free virus checker like Avira, Avast or AVG should solve it. Norton can be difficult to uninstall - you may need a removal tool to get rid of it. There is one here: http://www.brothersoft.com/norton-removal-tool-66304.html

#6 Damo1234

Damo1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

If Norton is causing the stall, reducing the scan frequency, reinstalling Norton or installing a less aggressive free virus checker like Avira, Avast or AVG should solve it. Norton can be difficult to uninstall - you may need a removal tool to get rid of it. There is one here: http://www.brothersoft.com/norton-removal-tool-66304.html

Uninstalling and reinstalling Norton did the trick. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users