Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

not certain if I'm clean.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

as declared in my other thread, I'm posting my HLJ logs and combo fix log (and yes I know it says don't unless asked, but I'm attaching all three logs because I'm not sure how long a post I can make at once anyway, so it shouldn't make too much a dent).

The Issue at Hand:
as noted in my other thread(here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/184941/3gb-for-an-empty-directory/ ), I'm experiencing some issues pertaining to the Temporary Internet Files directory, which previously had gone away after a malware purge(with MBAM and SAS). they reoccurred today, and both malware cleaners found nothing; however, the space was still occupied. as it was a repeat of previous behaviour which I have nothing to link to other than possible malware problems, I'm plugging my HJT/comboscan logs to this post in the hope that someone may see something amiss that I'm missing while looking at them.

the best I can tell from what I've seen in prodding at things, there is a content.IE5 area in my Temporary Internet Files directory which I can only see when on a different account; when in the account whose T.I.F. I'm checking, I cannot see those or their contents at all in spite of having settings adjusted to let me see hidden things, rather seeing a more normal arrangement of columns for cookies and cached files. while on the other user account on the machine (the two are my normal account and the permanent account Administrator), I can delete those items manually, recovering the space.

a perplexing portion of this for me is the fact that Internet Explorer 5 is not currently present on this system. my default browser is the japanese-made Sleipnir, which uses IE's engine and can use a version of the Gecko engine as well, and IE6 is accessible as a "when all else fails" measure for accessing certain things online that Sleipnir has problems with, such as FTP directories. I don't have IE7 on here because I dislike what they've done with it's interface, and the nearest computer I have access to that uses it seems to have inferior performance to the previous version as far as software load time and the like.(translation: I'm horribly picky)
another perplexing matter is that such huge amounts of space being used is in direct opposition to my settings for how much space T.I.F. is allowed to occupy, that being, at the time, 150mb. I have increased it to 500mb, but that does not assure much.

this behaviour cropped up recently; untill the date of the first post in the above linked thread, I had no issues of this sort. now, I will admit to recently upgrading Sleipnir; I may have found a bug, if there's no malware at all present on my system, and then that's a matter for me to report to the makers of the browser, posthaste.

another thing that has me concerned is that there is a discrepency in the amount of free space reported on drive C between safe mode and normal operating mode. in safe mode, it is reported that there is 4.41gb free, and in normal mode, there is 4.16gb reported free. now, this may be an issue of virtual memory usage between modes, I am not quite savvy enough about that at this time to know for sure. also I recently adjusted the minimum space assigned as virtual memory, which may not be followed in safe mode, for all I know about the matter presently. (more research is needed; I think I'm going to be hitting up MS's knowledge base about it.)

sorry for the rambling post and the unrequested comboscan log; I'm kinda spazzing out over this. >_o

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 suebaby41

suebaby41

W.A.M. (Women Against Malware)

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,248 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

Welcome to the BleepingComputer Forums.

Since it has been a few days since you scanned your computer with HijackThis, we will need a new HijackThis log. If you have not already downloaded Random's System Information Tool (RSIT), please download Random's System Information Tool (RSIT) by random/random which includes a HijackThis log and save it to your desktop. If you have RSIT already on your computer, please run it again.
  • Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT.
  • Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.
  • After it has finished, two logs will open. Please post the contents of both. log.txt will be maximized and info.txt will be minimized.
Thank you for your patience.

Please see Preparation Guide for use before posting about your potential Malware problem. Thank you for your patience.

If you have already posted this log at another forum or if you decide to seek help at another forum, please let us know. There is a shortage of helpers and taking the time of two volunteer helpers means that someone else may not be helped.

Please post your HijackThis log as a reply to this thread and not as an attachment. I am always leery of opening attachments so I always request that HijackThis logs are to be posted as a reply to the thread. I do not think that you are attaching anything scary but others may do so.

While we are working on your HijackThis log, please:
  • Reply to this thread; do not start another!
  • Do not make any changes on your computer during the cleaning process or download/add programs on your computer unless instructed to do so.
  • Do not run any other tool until instructed to do so!
  • Let me know if any of the links do not work or if any of the tools do not work.
  • Tell me about problems or symptoms that occur during the fix.
  • Do not run any other programs or open any other windows while doing a fix.
  • Ask any questions that you have regarding the fix(es), the infection(s), the performance of your computer, etc.
Thanks.
You don't stop laughing when you get old; you get old when you stop laughing.
A Member of U-N-I-T-E (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators)
Malware Removal University Masters Graduate

Posted Image
Join The Fight Against Malware
No reply within 5 days will result in your topic being closed. If you need more time, please let me know by posting in this topic so that your topic will not be closed.

#3 suebaby41

suebaby41

W.A.M. (Women Against Malware)

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,248 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

This subject is now closed. If you need this topic reopened, please contact a member of the HJT Team and we will reopen it for you. Include the address of this thread in your request. If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
You don't stop laughing when you get old; you get old when you stop laughing.
A Member of U-N-I-T-E (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators)
Malware Removal University Masters Graduate

Posted Image
Join The Fight Against Malware
No reply within 5 days will result in your topic being closed. If you need more time, please let me know by posting in this topic so that your topic will not be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users