Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(My) Your computer is low on memory?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 adamallison1

adamallison1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

So, a box keeps popping up on my desktop that says: Your computer is low on memory! It says "It can happened because this computer is infected by viruses. Save your files and press 'Close Programs' button. You must install any anti-virus software and check this computer!" I have Avast anti virus, Malwarebytes anti-malware, Super Anti-spyware Free edition and Spyware Doctor that run regularly.

It is not an Avast window, the heading says Microsoft Windows, and the quotes are word for word from the pop up.

Can anyone help me? I'm not the best with computers, so I don't really know what is going on.

Hopefully I managed to post this in the right fourm.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:03 PM

The only one that gives me pause is Spyware Doctor. It's a perfectly legit program, but if you download from a questionable site then it may come with badness included.

Open each program one by one and hit update to make sure you have the current DAT files, then run a scan with MBAM (if in normal startup run quick scan, in safe mode run full scan) and post the MBAM log here.

The suggestion to get AV makes me think "malware", though it might not be.

System specs, please:

OS, RAM, HD (total, used, available) to start with.

Edited by TSalarek, 13 December 2008 - 11:06 PM.

#3 adamallison1

adamallison1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:55 PM

RAM: 448 MB
HD: 55.8 GB, Free Space 31.4 GB, Used 24.4 GB

I hope this is everything you asked for.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1479
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

13/12/2008 9:52:05 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-13 (21-52-05).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 66273
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 40 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:05 AM

yup ;)

448 RAM implies 512 physically installed and 64 allocated (graphics maybe?)...if you have programs running the background they'll eat up system memory and prompt that kind of warning.

If you're comfortable doing so you can open the case and verify how much RAM you have, otherwise I would take it to GeekSquad or somebody and have them tell you for sure.

Yes 512 can run Xp just fine, but it'd be happier at 1 GB....I would ask for a HJT as that'll show what's running in the background, but I know better. The minute a log is up the mods will move the thread.

Everest is a good one for checking hardware and verifiing if there's a conflict somewhere.

Go ahead and run the other AV programs and save the logs. Post em when they're done and the forum community can review them. Forgives, but it's late for me and I have an early morning..I'll check back tomorrow.

#5 adamallison1

adamallison1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:34 PM

OK, so I think I am going to take it to a computer repair place because I really don't know what I am doing when it comes to all this fixing stuff. It might cost a bit of money, but I would rather have the peace of mind that someone who knows alot more about computers than me fixing it.

#6 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

MBAM came back clean, but it wouldn't hurt to verify the other AV's.

If you can get Everest (sorry, I don't have a link handy) then run that to find out what is physically installed (like how much RAM).

I'd hate for you to have to pay overtime for a bug that got missed :thumbsup: Especially since most places idea of "debug" is to reformat the HD and wipe all your stuff in the process....back-ups cost a small fortune.

Best Buy's Geek Squad prolly won't charge anything to crack it open and take a quick peek if you ask them nice.

#7 adamallison1

adamallison1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:52 PM

Sweet, I will try Everest if I can find it.

#8 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

Don't know how BC feels about Major Geeks but I know they have a link to Everest Home Free

bottom left, Top Downloads #7

pick up #5, too Hijack This...just in case you need it later..but wait to run it

Edited by TSalarek, 15 December 2008 - 09:56 PM.

#9 adamallison1

adamallison1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

I will report back when I'm done with the everest scan.

#10 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

I have another early day tomorrow, and a long one at that, but I'llbe back up tomorrow night (I'm Eastern US Time Zone). Just post the logs to this thread once the scans are done. Remember to not run HJT, yet...as soon as an HJT log is posted the mods move the thread to the HJT part of the forum. Let's save that as a last resort.

#11 adamallison1

adamallison1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

I feel like an idiot, but I really don't know how to use Everest. Do I just post the logs that come up in the "Computer>Summary"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users