Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can not boot up Window XP installation CD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crazy2000

crazy2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

Desktop
window XP PRO
mother board = Asus P5WD2 Premium

My situation is really weird. It might make me look dumb but here it goes:
Recently my desktop got infected with few really annoying malwares that drived me crazy.
So I decided to format my desktop,
but when I press F8 to boot the CD rom where my XP installation CD is located, there is no message to prompt me to "press any key to boot CD....."
I hear some noises from my CD rom but the CD did not boot up, it went straight to boot Window.

I have tried moving my CD rom to the top from the boot priority in BIOS, nothing changes.
I have tried to disable HardDrive from the boot priority menu, and I get the message saying, "reboot and or insert media into the device I am trying to boot."

My XP CD is not scratched or damaged btw. I can access the CD through My computer when Window is loaded. (in fact, I had installed the window 3 times today, but they are all piled up in one hard drive. I pressed install Window XP through my computer -->CD rom)

I have tested the XP CD in my laptop and it worked fine.

I kind of think that it might has something to do with the Malware I got, because the Malware I got, disabled auto run function of all my CD drives and USB drives. I checked the drive property, the auto run is not shut off.

I am really desperate for help right now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:16 AM

If the CD boots fine on your laptop and doesn't boot from the desktop - then I'd have to suspect something wrong with the CD drive (despite it's ability to function in Windows).

You can check to see if there are any firmware updates for your CD drive at the manufacturer's website - and you check to see if there are any updates for your motherboard at the Asus website.

In the event that you find a BIOS update at the Asus site - please post back before installing it. The installation is very sensitive and we can offer some tips to help ensure that it's successful (and that it doesn't hose your motherboard!)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 crazy2000

crazy2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

I have made a bootable CD with Nero and test it on my laptop, it boots.
When I test it in the desktop, the one I am trying to format, it boots as well.
Now things have became even more strange.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

Try making a copy of the disk and see if that boots.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 crazy2000

crazy2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:57 PM

Problem solved.

I used an old sp 1 CD and it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users