Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I safely remove this partition?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vlmnz

vlmnz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:24 PM

I have recently bought a new notebook, Asus X50RL, and am learning my way around Vista Premium. I apologise in advance if this is a really silly question. The sticker on the notebook says it has a 160GB HD. When I go into My Computer it shows 2 Hard Disk Drives, one called VistaOS (C:) and the other called Data (D:). C: has 51.5GB free of 87.4GB and D: has 50.7GB free of 56.4GB. When I look in the System device manager there is jut the one HDD listed. So I am assuming I have one HDD with a partition splitting it into C: and D: drives. Is this correct?
My next question is, do they have to be like that? I seem to be rapidly filling C: while D: remains almost untouched. I believe all that is on D: is the Backup files.
Can I safely remove the partition and just have a C: drive only? Or would I be better to make D: much smaller, so only the backup files are on it and C: is much bigger for me to store everything else on?
I would appreciate some advise on this please. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

So I am assuming I have one HDD with a partition splitting it into C: and D: drives. Is this correct?

Yes, that's correct

Did the Asus come with a set of recovery disks? If so, then you can use the D: drive to store data - or you can wipe it out and then expand your C: drive into it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 vlmnz

vlmnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:31 PM

Thank you. Yes, it did come with disks. I will get the out and have a go at deleting the partition now. Thanks for your reply.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

If you're doing this with Windows it should be fairly straight forward when using Disk Management.
If you're using another software to do this - I recommend only doing one step at a time. I've hosed many a computer by trying to do everything at once. In other words - delete the partition in one operation, then reboot, then expand the C: drive in another operation, then reboot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 vlmnz

vlmnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

:huh: Yay, its done. I now have only C: with over 100GB free. I used the Disk Management function, and you are right, it was very easy. Thanks very much for your assistance. :huh:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

I'm glad to hear that it was so easy for you! Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users