Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

program not found skipping autocheck

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alkan

alkan

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

im a complete novice and require advice on fixing a small problem.
when i boot my pc , xp home os, im getting , briefly,the following messages on a blue screen, after which, the pc then runs normally.
x]o program not found skipping autocheck
c]o program not found skipping autocheck

ive googled the messages and have been informed that the problem is a result of a corruption in the BootExecute , in the registry. i have to delete the multi-string, which , at present, consists of the word autocheck twice and a number of symbols and replace it with the default :-
autocheck autochk *.

i double click BootExecute, which opens a Edit Multi-String box containing ."value name" ie. BootExecute, and "value data" as below

autocheck x}0U!&
autocheck }0pD!DM
autocheck lsdelete

my question is, do i simply delete the present "value data" and type the default autocheck autochk * into the box and click ok.
am i correct that there is a space between the two words and another before the asterisk.
this is the first time ive been into the registry and all the warnings ive heard and read have made me wary of mistakes, so i ask for understanding as a novice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

What's the link for the site providing you with this guidance?

Louis

#3 alkan

alkan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:23 PM

the messages started after id upgraded Diskeeper, so i contacted Diskeeper tech. support and received an e-mail with the info.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

Warning #1 - Backup your registry before proceeding. Changes such as this have the potential to render your system unbootable. Without a copy of this key, it may not be possible to easily repair the system in case of an error.

Warning #2 - If given instructions to change something, always copy/paste rather than retyping. This will prevent misunderstandings and will help to avoid the situation in Warning #1

So, that being said, backup the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager key by right clicking on it and selecting "Export". Pick a file name for it (it'll end in .reg) and save it to your Desktop.

Then open the BootExecute key and delete the data that you've mentioned. Then copy and paste the stuff inside the Code box below this sentence. Save your changes and exit Regedit. Reboot to see if this has fixed the issue.
autocheck autochk *

FWIW - Yes, there's a space between autocheck and autochk - and another space between autochk and the *
Also have access to another system "just in case" your system doesn't boot. That way you can still post for assistance if everything goes south on you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 alkan

alkan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

fix worked perfectly, thank you.
i assume i can now delete the backup i saved to the desktop.
again, thank you

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

I'd leave it there for a week or two - then delete it to the Recycle Bin where it'll be emptied when it gets full. That way you're still protected "just in case"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users