Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange file in Java Cache

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 codecoaster

codecoaster

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:31 PM

I have been having some problems with my Java applications. I came across a strange file at userName\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\host.
The file is called 6e44b93d-54c80a94.hst and has one line of text:
I have no idea why this is in what seems to be a Java cache.
I have been writing a Java game for a few years now and all of a sudden I have been getting huge blocks over the top of the games screens, its probably unrelated to the file. I dont have any identifiable malware or viruses on my machine and I'm trying to trace what could cause this.
The code runs fine on other machines and only this pc seems to be affected. It may be something to do with dual processors, but the code has run with no problems for years, so I am doubtful.
I really cant understand why I would have a host file in my Java cache leading to the same company you mention in your post....

Mod. Edit: Split from this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74030/performance-systems-international-inc/ ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 December 2008 - 03:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

That IP address resolves to: COGENT Cogent/PSI

www.cogentco.com

From a google search it is a:

Multinational Tier 1 Internet service provider. Provides internet access, services and products, including dedicated and dial-up internet connectivity,

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 codecoaster

codecoaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

The problem was resolved by updating my nvidia graphics card. It was strange that the program had worked for years with no problems. The driver file may have been corrupted but it was strange how it only affected some Java programs.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:55 PM

Make sure that your Java is up to date also.

Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 11".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users