Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading RAM?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

Hi,

I'm working on a friends Acer PC. I've done an "Alt F10" re-install to get it to work again but it's still running slow.

I was thinking that it may need and/or could use some more RAM. I've looked inside and see that it has two 512 MB sticks of Nanya in two darker colored slots and it has two "Orange" empty slots. Does the different color slots indicate a different type of RAM needed? :thumbsup:

I was hoping to encourage her to purchase some more RAM to help it run faster. But I need to know what to suggest to get and how much kind of stuff.

Can anyone help me out here? It's always appreciated.

Thanks,

John

PS How do you determine the make of the mother board? I've tried Everest with no success. If I could get the name I'd probably be able to find an actual photo and what not describing what's on it. The Acer site specs don't seem to say much other than it can handle up to 4 GB RAM, no description of color meaning?

Edited by Johnz414, 13 December 2008 - 03:27 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:15 PM

Hi

Does the different color slots indicate a different type of RAM needed?

No. The two 512Mb RAM sticks you have in the dark slots are most probably a matched pair working in dual-channel mode. If one of them had been in a dark slot and the other in an orange slot they would only work in single-channel mode. Dual-channel mode is faster than single-channel mode.
To put an extra 1Gb of RAM in the PC it would be best to fit another matched pair of 512Mb sticks. If you just went for a single 1Gb stick, it would work out slightly cheaper but would only work in single-channel mode.
If money is no object, and assuming your motherboard can support it, go for a matched pair of 1Gb sticks which will take your total RAM up to 3Gb.
Steve

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

Thanks,

Now how do I figure out what 1 GB RAM will work in it? As mentioned above I don't seem to be able to determine the MoBo maker for what RAM will work?

What else can I do to determine this other then emailing Acer?

John

PS I have emailed Acer but that will take who knows how long to get a response? Is there something that I can do now?
John

Albert Einstein.

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

Hi

CPU-Z is a free utility which will tell you the make and model of your motherboard.
To download it go to this site http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Steve

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

Go to Crucial.com
http://www.crucial.com/
On the right of the page is the Memory advisor utility. Enter the make and model of the computer and it will tell you what's compatible and the maximum amount you can use
Remember you want to install in match pairs for best performance
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 LedBakery

LedBakery

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:42 PM

I hope your not trying to substitute more memory for lack of a processor.

#7 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:53 PM

Yeah,

The chip in it is an AMD Athlon 64 3800+, probably not to much in the compute department as far as chips go, certainly not a duo corp.

The PC has an "ePower Maintenance" tool that checks memory and says that it doesn't need an upgrade.

I was thinking, sense it is still running slow, why not look into upgrading the memory. It does look affordable from checking out the site that garmanma suggested.

But I certainly will take any advice anyone wants to suggest.

Currently, I'm inclined to want to add some memory sense it doesn't seem like it's going to brake the bank, but if it really wont help then I guess I'll think differently.

John
John

Albert Einstein.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:11 AM

FWIW: Some motherboards do support 2 different types of RAM, but both types cannot be used at the same time.

If you haven't done it yet...I suggest looking at the specs for the system or motherboard to see what is applicable.

Louis

#9 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:32 AM

That is a great link that garmanma sent you but you don't need to buy your RAM there. Just write down the speed and type of the RAM and check New Egg, Circuit City, Best Buy or whatever.

I use the Crucial memory advisor myself but I don't think I have ever bought from them.

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users