Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

once bitten, shy; twice bitten, pissed off

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cocopuffer

cocopuffer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:29 AM

good morning, everyone...

my laptop will take 7-9 days to be returned without ahsan, virtumondo, and trojan.downloader, etc., viruses still making it nearly unusable. i know, i know, i should have all security features turned on; i didn't. in fact, i couldn't turn on automatic updates (i don't know why), and didn't have a anti-virus installed (i use windows xp).

the desktop had the same troubles, and after using all the downloadable anti-virus programs i could find (HJT, spybot S&D, spysweeper, and others) i figured the best way was to reformat! i have an external hard drive so i transferred all my documents, address books, bookmarks and favorites, among other things to it. then i did a F8 reformat (i think it was F8), and reinstalled windows 98. i have a legitimate disk for that (with product code and the manual and everything). then the fun began.

first and foremost, i forgot i had a wal*mart bought windows xp upgrade disk. that would have prevented the desktop going to the shop... i figured i would just download everything i needed from online sources... drivers, freeware that i've come to depend on, fonts, games, etc... but i couldn't connect. so i figured i'd have to use dial-up to get the needed driver for my ethernet connection. but... there was no telephone jack connector -- my computer is a refurbished corporate gateway, without one! i was screwed.

so, i had to give in and bring the unit to the place i bought it, computer connections (formerly computer renaisance). they've been in the bangor (maine) mall for about ten years and that's also where i got my laptop. to make a long story short, because it was a corporate configured unit, the driver was nearly impossible to find; they had to install a new ethernet connector. then, when i got it home, i upgraded to XP and started downloading all the necessary stuff to get going. it ain't easy, i tell you!

i know also, that i should not be visiting certain websites of ill repute, like pron sites and certain hacker sites, and websites sent in emails (i almost never do that)... but i like pron, and am curious and hoping i'll learn something from hacker sites, and i have, once or twice in ten years or more, clicked on a link in an unsolicited email.

i also have to learn to be more careful with bit-torrents. i've downloaded a few movies without incident, but then at one point i had over ten titles in my torrent list, and i guess one of them really infected me. i'll start following my son's advice and start making sure the site is legitimate (but how to do that is the big problem).

when my laptop returns, it will have kaspersky installed, and i will have three licenses for it. so this desktop unit will have it too. please wish me luck...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users