Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run 16-bit Windows Program

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

I am reinstalling an older program on my PC, XP Pro, SP3, with plenty of RAM and HD space.

I get the error when I try to execute the 'exe' file: Can't run a 16-bit Windows program....because the 'exe file cannot be found, or something like that. I have been working with this issue for 3 days now.

This morning, I tried to run the program on my desktop at home, identical XP setup, EXCEPT SP2, and the exe program works (executes) fine.

Is there anything I can do for/with the XP-3 that will make it work like XP-2, or is this the problem.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,523 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

Have you tried the compatability wizard in XP? Run Older Programs on Windows XP

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:07 PM

Yes I have done that.

Also, I have run this program on this laptop in the past. I uninstalled it about a year ago; now I need it again for my teaching responsibilities.

I have installed it last week and ran it on my desktop that has the same XP Pro OS; in fact, I ran it this morning. However, the only difference that I know is that I have not upgraded the desktop OS to the XP:-3 version.

Something is blocking this program from working. I cannot even find an entry in the Event Log when I try to run it on the laptop.

Thanks for your interest.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

See if this helps:
16bit_fix.exe
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:39 AM

I tried the 'fix' and it didn't work. I still get the message (on executing the 'exe' file) "Can't find '...exe' (or one of it's components)."....although it is that exe file on which I clicked to get the message in the first place.

I know the file is not corrupted because I have take it (actually the zip file and unzipped it) to another computer (my desktop) and it works fine there, with XP SP2. The problem computer has XP-SP3 installed. I am leary of updating the XP2>>XP3 because I might not have a working computer for this program.

Below is my HiJack Log...for your information.

LOG REMOVED BY USASMA

Edited by usasma, 14 December 2008 - 08:59 AM.
Removed HJT Log

#6 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:28 AM

I am still perplexed by this 'problem' and I think it may be much more simple than I suspect, and much more detailed than I am aware.

However, this morning, I unzipped the zip file on my desktop (which produced 22 files); I executed the exe file from the Temp File folder and it worked fine.

I then, copied those 22 files on to a stick memory and plugged it into the laptop. I then tried to execute the exe file on the stick memory from the laptop and it worked fine. I then copied the 22 files from the stick memory to a folder on the c-drive of the laptop and tried to execute the exe file, and ...up comes that message ..Can't run 16-bit Windows program...can't find exe file or one of its components.

Apparently, the laptop computer has no difficulty executing a 16-bit program; it seems to have difficulty executing it from one of the folders that is not in the Program Files Directory.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

polaris6,

I moved your HijackThis log to the Misplaced HJT Logs forum.
Please follow all of the directions, posted as a reply.
Here's the link:
Can't run 16-bit Win Program problem

Since you now have a HJT log posted, I'm going to close this topic.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users