Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot XP/WIN 2K

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dumduck

dumduck

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:07 AM

Hi.
I have just created a dual boot using two separate HD's the primary is win 2k the slave has XP I us a boot manager to select at boot up. My problem is although both O/S's work well I am having a devil of a time trying to get my Broadband to work off of the XP system, all the settings have been copied over, the modem is working but it will not connect to my ISP reporting back error "678". Can the same BB setup work on two drives independently of one another ?.
Can someone advise please.
regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:18 AM

Hi

When you say modem, do you mean a USB ADSL modem or do you connect to a Broadband Router via your network adapter.
Steve

#3 dumduck

dumduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:38 AM

sorry should have said, USB adsl modem

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:47 AM

Hi

Can the same BB setup work on two drives independently of one another ?.

Yes. There is no reason why the Broadband should not work on a dual-boot system.
When you say you copied over the settings, did you run the installation disk that your ISP would have provided along with the Modem?
Obviously the hardware is ok as everything works when you are running Windows 2000 so its just a problem you have setting it up with XP.
First check up to see if the Modem shows up in Device Manager. Also check to see if you have a Network Connection configured for it.
Steve

#5 dumduck

dumduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

thanks slix
as I said above all settings have been copied over,I did not use the disc that came with the modem as it was one of those supplied by a previous ISP But I did go online and download the latest drivers for the XP setup. the modem shows up in device manager and reports that it is working. my network connection have been configured to work with it

#6 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

OK

In your Windows 200 setup, go to Device Manager and note what it says for the type of USB modem you have and what the driver version is.
Now do the same thing in your XP setup and see if there are any differences.
The only thing that this can be is a diver issue or the way the modem is set up.
Who is your ISP? Have you checked out their site to double check how the modem needs configuring?
Finally, have a look at this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892889
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users