Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Basic Networking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JRoush

JRoush

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:56 PM

Ok - I have a desktop (a Dell Dimension) running Windows XP. I just purchased a laptop (also a Dell), which also runs XP. I need to connect them to transfer some files onto the laptop, but since the connection will be temporary, I do not want to buy a router or hub. I went to Radio Shack and got a CAT5 crossover cable (I know that much, at least), but when I plugged the two together, the netwrok did not work.

Details:
The desktop only has one networking card (an Intel Pro 100Mb ethernet card), which is normally plugged in to a broadband modem. The laptop has a wireless card and a gigabit ethernet card. I ran the network setup wizard on both computers, and checked the basic stats - both were on the same workgroup, both had unique names, both had automatically assigned IP addresses with the same subnet mask. The laptop seemed to respond better, as it's shared folder appeared in the "my network place" on both computers. The shared folder on the desktop did not, and when I try to open the laptop's shared folder over the network, i get an error telling me the path could not be found. I checked, and there are some packets being traded, so basically my problem is with the file sharing.

I have never done any networking, and am at a loss. What is wrong?

Roush

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:07 PM

Ok ... let me get some of the topology down first.

What are the ip addresses of both machines. DO they both contain the same workgroup name? You can check this by right clicking on my computer and then click on the computer name tab.

If you go into the control panel, double click on network connections, right click and click on properties for the network card, do you have enabled on both computers file and printer sharing for microsoft and client microsoft networks?

#3 JRoush

JRoush
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:31 AM

Ok, I solved the problem.
It turns out, I am an idiot...
The problem was that, since I normally use the ethernet port on my desktop for broadband internet, I had it firewalled. Disable the firewall, and suddenly everything works beautifully. Oh well...

Thanks anyway.

Roush

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:25 PM

You may want to enable the firewall again. When you find out about your IP numbers, you can always add them to the exclude list.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 rbaker

rbaker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:31 PM

On this same subject will somebody explain to me why I have to disable my firewall to print on a home network, XP and linksys wireless? What are exclude lists for this? Can I set up some IP addresses about my home network so I don't have to turn off the firewall when we want to print from another PC at home?

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:33 PM

Are you using the firewall that is on XP?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users