Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Helper.exe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ericg72391

ericg72391

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:15 PM

I keep getting the error message "helper.exe has encountered an error and needs to close" everytime I start up my computer. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Edited by Pandy, 13 December 2008 - 12:49 AM.
Moved from Win XP home and Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:34 AM

I've found out 2 things about helper.exe

First, do you have or have you ever had SpeedUpMyPC installed on your computer?
helper.exe is a file associated with this program. I don't know anything about it, other than the fact that is available for download on cnet download.com and tucows, both highly respected sites for software downloads.

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/helper

The other thing I found is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/h...r.exe-8582.html

In addition, there are lot of processes which have a variant of helper.exe in the file name. Some of these processes are good, some are bad. helper.exe is associated with an infection.

It is possible that your system is infected. Please read the BC tutorial at the link above.
Also, since this may be a case of an infection, I'll inform the moderators of your post-one of them can decide if it should be moved to the Am I Infected forum. If it is moved, someone will help you determine if your system is infected and if it is will assist you in removing the infection.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 December 2008 - 12:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users