Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

switch, router, or hub?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 freezerburn16

freezerburn16

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:07 PM

im going to buy a switch, router, or hub for lan parties but i dont know the diff very well ne help would be great
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (Clawhammer)
ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI Express 256MB DDR3
4Gb Kingston HyperX KHX3200/1G DDR400 PC3200 Memory
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D nForce4 Ultra
Caviar WD1200JB Special Edition 120GB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:46 PM

Well, you'll need a hub to plug the network cables in from each computer, and you'll need to plug that into a router for internet access :thumbsup:

#3 pya26

pya26

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:05 PM

I've recently encountered this isue myself. I was connecting 10 computers on my office network via a Linksys 24 port hub. We have a 512k connection which is plenty of bandwidth for what we are doing, but we were seeing serious slow downs.

The problem was the hub. Hubs are basically a gateway to pass traffic through with no idea what computer is sending the data or where it is going. The network slowdown was due to data traffic collisions within the hub. This will happen if you are connecting more than 3-4 computers through a hub.

A switch is an intelligent piece of hardware that can automatically determine where data is coming from and direct it accrodingly. Kind of like a traffic cop. Needless to say, once we installed the switch our connection speeds increased considerably.

You'll also need a router to connect to, which will connect to your internet connection.

That's my 2 cents.

--Pya26

Edited by pya26, 13 May 2005 - 08:07 PM.

#4 Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:13 PM

Well, that works too.

Either way you'll need a router.

Edited by Phantasmagoria, 13 May 2005 - 11:13 PM.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:37 AM

Hubs and Switches:
Its easy to explain the difference if you remember that on an Ethernet network the maximum number of computers that can communicate(transmit) at any given time is one. A hub is the original device for linking multiple PCs via ethernet and if you have say ten PCs plugged into a 24port hub and one of the PCs is transferring a huge file to a server somewhere else, the other nine PCs cannot use the network. A switch however, intelligently disconnects the ports from the network so that if one PC is doing major file transfer the other PCs are unaffected and can continue communication amongst themselves. This results in much improved network speeds if the traffic is well distributed. If everyone is trying to connect to the same server it doesn't help much though.
These days switches have just about replaced hubs in all but the simplest networks.
If you want to communicate between networks then, as others have pointed out, you need a router. Routers are much more comlex devices and therfore more expensive but the price is falling by the week. A router with an inbult switch would cover just about every requirement.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 MystaShyft

MystaShyft

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:32 AM

I have an old Lynksys NH10005 v.2.0 5 port hub. Right now I have 3 pc's connected to the hub.
I have my broadband modem connected to the uplink port.All the pc;s are connected to the internet,no problems.
I've tried to connect a 4th pc but it will not work.I left the port beside the uplink port vacant,as per instruction but it wont connect the 4th pc.

My question is will a 5 port switch solve my problem.Do I need a router also for the switch to work?
Im afraid to try installing a router.Ive read the instructions and they are a little intimidating. :thumbsup: Thanks for any help. Terry
GA-MA790FXT-UD5P/Phenom II x4 965 BE/4x2GB DDR31333 G-Skill /2x Sapphire HD4870 1gb /Seagate Barracuda 640/500GB Sata 2 HDD's 3.0/ Corsair 850 TX PSU/BenQ 24" lcd/Windows 7 Pro/ /Antec DF-85 gamer case

#7 MystaShyft

MystaShyft

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

Please ignore the above post. :flowers:
Router installed without problems. :thumbsup:
GA-MA790FXT-UD5P/Phenom II x4 965 BE/4x2GB DDR31333 G-Skill /2x Sapphire HD4870 1gb /Seagate Barracuda 640/500GB Sata 2 HDD's 3.0/ Corsair 850 TX PSU/BenQ 24" lcd/Windows 7 Pro/ /Antec DF-85 gamer case

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users