Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start-up freeze at wallpaper window

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fzyp0t

fzyp0t

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:14 PM

I posted the following in the Windows XP operating system forum and then discovered this forum and thought it would be better addressed here:

To whomever can help,

I have a HP with Windows XP and Ariva AntiVir PE Classic "Freeware" loaded. The computer starting running slow, so I ran the Antiviral software. At the next rebot, the computer now freezes at the wall paper window with two pop-up from the Antiviral software:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\topapope.dll
Is the TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen Trojan

And

C:\WINDOWS\system32\porigeda.dll
Is the TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen Trojan

Both allow options to address the problem like delete, quarantine, etc. No matter which is chosen, the window disappears and reappears. I have been able to get task manager to appear. But I can not stop the loop!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:25 AM

The files mentioned are malware. Possibly related to Vundo.

Suggest you follow the instructions in links below to use both Super Antispyware and MalwareBytes Antimalware.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1040160

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=944365

Be sure to update both programs in regular mode before rebooting into safe mode to run the scans.
Post the logs from both programs in your topic here.

Sometimes malware will block you from visiting security sites and prevent you from installing or running the programs.
If you have that problem, use a different computer to download the .exe to a CD or other medium. Once the .exe is on the infected computer, right click on it and choose rename. Rename it lastchancescan and then click on the .exe to run it.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users