Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Problem as well, HELP!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 7Lil

7Lil

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:35 PM

Can anyone help me? When I start my computer it immediately says "Can't find primary drive 0." Then it tells me to hit F2 and go to the set-up. I did that and restored all the defaults but it still won't boot. Then I tried going back and tweaking the drives (enabling one, auto the other, blah blah blah, I don't understand what I'm doing) and it still won't boot. I'm so frustrated I'm about ready to throw it out the window. Does anyone have any ideas?
BTW - It's a Dell 3000, windows XP-home, newly installed AVG.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:21 PM

Hi 7Lil,

Is the computer under warranty? If it is, call Dell.

Did you add a new hard drive or cd-rom or any other device that plugs into that connection? There may be a master/slave setting conflict.

I usually set those settings to auto. Depending on the type of setup package you have, you may also have a place for the computer to automatically detect the hard drive.

If it isn't, I would open the case and try reseating the cables attached to the drive. Also reseat the cable where it plugs into the system board. Next, try another power connector. That is the four colored D shaped connector.

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If the drive still doesn't work, and you are faced with replacing the drive, you can remove the hard drive from the computer and wrap it - with your hand, on the side of the drive. (I am speaking of the thin part, not the top or bottom) I have seen drives that are left on for extended periods have their drive arms stuck when they are turned off. Again, This is a VERY LAST RESORT!

Good luck and becareful,

Rigel

PS... Please make sure that the computer is unplugged when you work inside of it. Also make sure that you touch the case to help with any static discharge problems.

Edited by rigelslight, 13 May 2005 - 03:31 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 7Lil

7Lil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:40 PM

Hi Rigelslight,
Thanks for your reply. I have some sort of 2 year (limited) warranty. This has happened before and I spent hours on the phone with Dell support. Jerks kept going around in circles until finally they were like "sorry, you're going to have to reformat." I really don't want to have to call them back because I don't want to go through all that again. It's so stressful for me. Anyway, no, I have not added new hardware or CD-ROM or anything (except anti-virus). I'll try the couple things you suggested and PRAY it works. I would love to demand a new PC but Dell wasn't so cooperative last time. I am incredibly unsatisfied with them. :thumbsup:
Thanks again!

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:42 AM

Dear 7Lil,

Dell works real hard to please their customers. I have worked on Dell computers and have been in awe with the software they have to help hardware problems.

It seems they have the answer to all problems. If you differ, so what, they are right.

My friend has a Dell laptop that has problems that seem fixable. But without the some of the software they don't give you, I can not help.

My advise to you is relax. Do something extremely satisfying then call Dell.

If you have problems after this, we can wipe that computer clean of Dell. But it gets difficult after that.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:04 PM

Hi 7Lil,

I am sorry for your problems with Dell. If you have a warranty with them, I would pursue that first. Let me make sure I understand what is happening...

When you start your computer, it has a black and white screen that may show hardware information about your computer. Usually memory size is displayed, maybe BIOS level info... do you see that? Next, from what you are saying, the computer may beep (remember this pattern - there could be long or short beeps) This is a clue for Dell to fix their problem) Look to see if any keyboard lights are flashing or solid (Some makers use these lights to determine problems as well)
Finally, You are seeing an error that says the primary hard drive "0" cannot be found... so the computer will not boot. The Windows splash screen never shows.

Now is all of this is true, your hard drive maybe bad. If it will not see the drive, there is no way to format it.

I recommend calling Dell back, and telling them exactly what we have discussed here. As much of a pain as it may be, just work with them. If you feel that you are not being taken care of, ask for a supervisor. You are their customer, and they should take care of you... but also understand that they are trying to resolve a problem without ever touching your computer.

Good luck 7Lil. I hope your computer is repaired promptly.

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 Aviator

Aviator

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:30 PM

Howdy, Have you tried posting your problem in the Dell Community forum, Dimension>Hard Drive forum. I use that forum frequently and have found alot of help there.
Dell Dimension 8200
Dell Dimension 4550

Here's the link.
http://forums.us.dell.com/

Edited by Aviator, 19 May 2005 - 06:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users