Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

questions about drives

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lychee

lychee

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:49 AM

(Sorry I'm new and didn't get to introduce myself in the introduction forum ----- I'm Peyton from Philippines by the way)

Well, I have been getting this error on my pc about "Computer restarted after an unexpected shutdown" and "System has recovered from serious error" after crashing then restarting for a lot of times while watching a movie.

It also said something about a device failure and I memorized this one: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64. I googled things about it and I read that my problem can be fixed if I update the driver and that this is a video card. Unfortunately, I don't know how, nor I don't think it is easy for me. The only way is to have it removed and replaced, maybe?

Well, that is just one of the problems... the other one is...

I bought these vcds but they aren't working on my computer. I was told that I have to download updated codecs and stuffs for them to work. I did but they were still not playing. I downloaded WMP 10 and the codecs installation packages, but all I get are scratching noises and some kind of colored boxes appearing on and off the screen.

^^ Now, does this have something to do with my video card and is replacing it can make it play the vcd files, since it can be updated with needed codecs?

Sorry if it is long and I hope someone can answer me :]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:47 PM

The first step you should take is to go to the Invidia site, and look up the newest drivers for the model of their video card you are using, download and install these on your computer.
Then if you still have these problems, reply to this post.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 lychee

lychee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:36 PM

I went to the site, and on the drivers download, but I don't know what is the right driver :[

Should I get Geforce and Tnt2? Sorry, I really don't know about this hardware stuffs, and I need help.

Thanks for the reply by the way.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:45 AM

Yes download the GeForce and TNT2 driver appropriate for your operating system. Its an executable file, save it somewhere where you can find it on your PC and when the download is finished double click on the file. This will start the Nvidia installation program - it will automatically detect what kind of card you have and install the correct drivers.
Good luck.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 lychee

lychee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:31 AM

Thanks!

But do I have to uninstall the old driver?

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:02 AM

No, you don't need to do anything else, the Nvidia installation will do everything required to update your display drivers.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 lychee

lychee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:16 AM

I clicked on it and I thought it's installing smoothly until I got this message

"Nvidia setup can't find the driver compatible on your current hardware. Setup will exit now."

... or something like that.

:thumbsup:

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:56 AM

You need to answer two questions:
1.What operating system are you running? - Start(or desktop)>My Computer - right-click select properties. In the System Properties window under System what does it say?

2. What graphics card do you have in your PC? See your system help on starting the device manager (in XP it is under System Properties, Hardware) and look under 'Display Adapter'. What does it say?

#9 lychee

lychee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

1.) Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)

2.) What's odd is that when I go there, it doesn't really say anything about the display adapters or anything. It just says "Display adapters" with the icon.

But I went to start >> run and typed dxdiag and well, here's what it says:

Name: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: RIVA TNT2 Model 64
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 32.0 MB
Current Display Mode: 800 x 600 (16 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Default Monitor

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:26 PM

The advantage of looking where I said instead of in DXdiag is it also confirms what service pack level you have. But that is probably not relevant to your problem.
Ok - Display Adapters - is there a '+' beside it so you can see what windows detects?

Perhaps an idea would be to download the system analysis program 'Everest' so you can get detailed information about your system:
Everest download

See what it says about your display adaptor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users