Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Stops responding after plugging in ethernet cable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 o0luigi0o

o0luigi0o

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

Ok, I've already ran all the things to not be infected with a virus. What I did in order, removed the drive scanned with nod32, reinserted the drive, ran in safemode networking: spybot, malwarebytes, removed bad files, ran smitfraudfix, then combofix, unchecked things from msconfig, used hijackthis to remove bad things. Rebooted to regular windows, and cant get on the net. The system still responds but its almost like its having issues getting an ip or something. I also tried winsock fix, but it hangs also. Ive had this problem on two seperate computers. What I believe it to be is some registry problem or permission change by the previous viruses i removed. Please dont give me the usual virus scans etc routine. I've been doing this awhile I know how to get rid of viruses. This is separate issue, please help or point me in the right direction. I also had an issue installing avg with the error code 0x80070005, but i solved this by deleting the two DENYs in permissions. Do you think this is a similar issue but a different permission? Its not also a bad NIC card or anything like that because i used a USB nic and same thing, and also i am unable to do a system restore, yes the service is running, but it wont restore. Any help with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 o0luigi0o

o0luigi0o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

btw the other computer that had this internet issue, had the same error code when trying to install avg. some how it has to be related

#3 o0luigi0o

o0luigi0o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:49 PM

yay, fixed my own problem. Ok for those of you having this same issue, and im sure there is. It deals with AVG. First thing you need to do is go to regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows, right click Windows, click permissions, click advanced, inside this you'll see the two DENYs at the top, delete them. Ok now, run a system restore to a few days before that. If you try to run system restore with those two permissions set, it will not restore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users