Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware I cannot delete

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 magpie10

magpie10

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:52 AM

Hi there - this is my first post, I decided to join this forum after I saw this thread. First of all - thank you! I picked up this virus/trojan (not a tecchie so not quite sure what it is) on the weekend and have spent the past few days trying to figure out what it is. When I first got it, my Norton antivirus scan and my Adaware scans couldn't detect it. It was only the pop-up which alerted me to the fact that I had some virus on my computer. Luckily, through reading these forums I did discover Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software and even though initially it also couldn't find it, it did pick up something yesterday after new updates. I haven't seen the pop-up since, but I am still worried that there is still a trojan sitting on my computer. I did find the mermen.exe file and delete it manually, but am not sure what else I can do. All my scans are coming up clean, I can't detect any strange activity any more, but I'm a bit sceptical since all my scans were telling me the computer was clean, even when Explorer and Firefox were freezing up and the popup was appearing. Does anyone know what this is yet? And is it actually a keylogger trojan or was that just the message the virus displayed? I have been too scared to do internet banking since I discovered this problem.

Thanks in advance for all your help. This forum has really been useful, especially since I am not a tecchie person at all. And finding someone else who had found this merman.exe file was just wonderful, since I was going crazy wondering what it was and whether I should delete it or not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 magpie10

magpie10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:11 AM

Hi there -

I couldnt find any more of the .exe files listed above and I assumed that my computer was clean. Tonight, however, when trying to update my Symantec Antivirus I got the following error message:

LU1806: LiveUpdate was not able to install any of the 1 updates that you selected. For more information please click the "+" sign next to the update(s) that did not install. All available updates were selected.

It is telling me that it couldn't download or read the virus definition file in "Avenge MicroDefs25 SavCorp10 ".

I'm not sure if this is just a glitch with Norton or if it is another symptom of the virus. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any advice on what I should do?

Sevan - are you still getting obvious symptoms of a virus infection or does everything appear to be normal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users