Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming modem/router

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 burntheact

burntheact

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hi,

I have the sbg1000 modem/router. It is fairly slow and I have had some issues with it. Also it lacks in the security department. I was looking to replace it with a router/modem (or two seperate ones uncombined, whichever is cheaper and better), that has WPA2, and is fast for gaming and file transfers. Also yet not to to expensive.
Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

Are you using wireless mostly or wired mostly. Is your gaming rig hard wired to the Router?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 burntheact

burntheact
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:27 PM

Well my gaming box will be plugged into the modem. I also have a macbook which I just use for browsing the internet/downloading etc. The macbook will be wireless pretty much all of the time. The sbg1000 seems to have terrible range. I basically have to sit in the same room as the router to be able to use it with my macbook.

No hardwire. When I want to watch tv I have to unplug my modem and plug it into my tv and vice versa. I plan to install another cord so I can do both simultaneously soon though.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:57 AM

If you are using something like a cable or DSL modem, you usually need to have two separate boxes. One is for the modem and the other is for the router. I have the D-Link DGL-4300 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless Gaming Router and it runs very well.

3939.png

#5 burntheact

burntheact
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

Does it matter what router I use if I get the D-Link router?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:14 AM

Does it matter what router I use if I get the D-Link router?

If you get the D-Link router, you need no other router. All you need is the cable, FiOS, or DSL modem along with the D-Link router, if you choose to get one.

3939.png

#7 burntheact

burntheact
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:48 AM

Oooh noo oops! I meant what other modem should I get? Assuming I cant use the sbg1000 with it or would be more complicated. sorry

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:42 AM

You can use any cable or DSL modem with that router. The SBG1000 is a cable modem and wireless router in one, you may want to make sure the wireless signal on the SBG1000 is turned off before you install the D-Link. The signals might interfere with one another. You may need to keep the SBG1000 since your cable provider might use its serial number or MAC address to authenticate you as a user on their network, and the D-Link doesn't include a modem built-in. Note that the DGL-4300 does not have WPA2, it does have WPA-Personal and WPA-Enterprise along with 128-bit WEP and MAC filtering. That's always been enough for me, my neighbors are technological Luddites so I don't really have to worry too much about my encryption protocol. The D-Link DGL-4500 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11a/b/g, IEEE802.11n Draft Xtreme N Gaming Router has it, but is more expensive. I'm not sure if you want to spend the money on the DGL-4500, I selected the D-Link DIR-655 IEEE 802.11n (draft) IEEE 802.11g IEEE 802.11b IEEE 802.3 IEEE 802.3u Xtreme N Gigabit Router as a good middle option that has WPA2. Note that NewEgg is running a special on the DGL-4500 until Dec. 19, you can get free shipping and an extra $20 off by using the "DlinkXmas4500" coupon code.

Edited by DJBPace07, 18 December 2008 - 02:46 AM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users