Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

account sending out spam

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 eaglefeathers

eaglefeathers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hi WV,

Had the same problem with my Yahoo account, which passed the ekantoy message on to my Yahoo contact list on December 1st, 2008.

Fortunately for me, my Yahoo contact list is very small as I use Yahoo mostly for receiving "forwarding" jokes that some friends insist on sending and also for registering for and receiving newsletter mailings. But even with my small contact list, it was embarrassing to have this happen through my mail!

I have spent some time today looking for more information on this, so far without much luck apart from your posting. There are other reference out there to an older outbreak of hackers getting mailbox passwords and exploiting the contact lists, but little else about this latest variant.

One positive note - my other email, the one used for my important correspondence, has not yet exhibited any bad behaviour. This makes me suspect that this worm/virus/trojan targets Yahoo and Hotmail. I hope I am correct.

I will watch this post in hope that someone else can shed light on this and identify the "ekantoy" mail.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users