Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless for old laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 renegade117

renegade117

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:11 PM

I have an old Gateway Laptop (600YGR) that does not have wireless internet (wifi not sprint type). Can I add wireless to it internally? Or is the only option sprint or at&t card? If I can, how much and where can I get it?

Thank you...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:38 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

I looked up your laptop, and it only has the expansion port of mini pci, which is internal and doesn't have many options for upgrades.

A better option for you to take is getting a usb wireless card. Any of these cards on Newegg should work. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....;name=USB%202.0 . We can help you look for one if you have a certain price range. Also, make sure to get one that will be fast enough for you. I don't really know too much about wireless cards, but you should make sure it supports at least IEEE 802.11b/g.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:24 PM

Gateway part #: 6002347

Install instructions: http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gatewa...STM/8508727.pdf

If you have the actual connection/slot on the mobo, the card can be installed. The problem arises when you have to run the antennas for the wireless. Sometimes you get lucky and the wires are hidden under that bottom cover, in which case it is a simple install. Plug in the card, hook up antennas, install drivers and enjoy.

Agree with above, the quick/cheap solution is to get a USB wireless dongle for $15, and call it a day. I just don't like extra stuff hanging off my laptop, but that's me. I bought this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833180017 a couple years ago to use on a desktop for my visiting nephews/nieces. I set a system up for them in the "kids room" and didn't feel like running/tripping over a run of Cat5.

Edit: The slot is fairly standard. You might be able to find any number of wireless cards to work in your app.

Edited by dpunisher, 12 December 2008 - 11:31 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

USB dongle is a great option, but some people find that they get in the way, take up a valuable USB slot (if you only have one or two) and can easily be lost. The alternative would be to utilise the PCMCIA card slot on your laptop. I was looking at Gateway and your laptop has does have this port.

A typical PCMCIA wireless card can be brought from Amazon.

Hope this helps!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 renegade117

renegade117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:10 PM

Thank you that is very helpful!

#6 renegade117

renegade117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:17 AM

I hate to sound like a noob (with laptops I am for sure), but... Which one of the "Amazon" link cards will work for my comp? And is that the card slot on the side of my comp?... Also, are they sold at Best Buy? So I can get on the way home...

Thanks in advance...

Edited by renegade117, 16 December 2008 - 08:18 AM.

#7 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:46 AM

The Amazon link was really for reference, it sounds like your from the United States, so either look for a PCMCIA card on Amazon.com or at Best Buy / or Newegg. Your laptop (according to the Gateway link) does have a PCMCIA or PC Card slot. It can take Type II or Type III cards so as long as the PCMCIA card is of either of these types it should work fine. :thumbsup:
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users