Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista won't start after December 10 updates

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Linda79

Linda79

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Trying to help a friend with her Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop (Duo Core Processor, sorry I don't have it here so just going by memory) - she has Windows Vista (32-bit) installed, and the computer has been working OK for the past year. Now, after the freakin' Windows automatic updates did 13 updates on December 10, the next day the computer will not start Windows. I'm in over my head, but want to try to help. We try the System Repair, and get a message that it cannot be repaired, and to disconnect any new devices. We disconnect a new Dell wireless printer she installed a few days earlier. No change. I try to do System Restore, which I can access back to November 20 update of Vista Service Pack 1, but System Restore will not work - can't remember the exact error message but we try this several times until now we can't even do System Restore because we get a message saying "the System Restore Wizard is already running." So then she takes it to work and the IT guy there tries some things including starting it in Safe Mode - she can't remember what he said beyond "something's hanging it up and you're going to have to go back to the factory install." She has photos, screenplays, etc on the hard drive that of course she has not backed up anywhere. So next I try making a Vista 32-bit recovery disk and boot from the disk to see if we can get-around whatever's hanging things up, but we get the same messages (can't repair, System Restore Wizard already running). I even tried to uninstall the SP1 from a command prompt but that didn't work. Did "fixboot" from command prompt - nothing. I'm going to post the Problem Signature stuff below, and I'm hoping somebody has an idea or two to at least help her retrieve her stuff. I'm also going to try the Knoppix route next to see if we can use Linux to access her files. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. What I could see from the System Restore (before it died) goes back to November 20 with the SP1 update. Then there are more updates. Then she loaded Microsoft Word Home & Student 2007. Then more updates. Then she installed a Dell Wireless printer and driver a few days ago. Then more updates. Still working OK. Then the fatal 13 updates on December 10. Here are the problem signatures:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.1800
Problem Signature 03: 6
Problem Signature 04: 983055
Problem Signature 05: 0xf4
Problem Signature 06: 0xf4
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 2
Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair
Problem Signature 10: 2
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:17 AM

I've been unable to locate the meanings of the Problem Signatures in the above message. Does anyone have a listing?

While waiting for a reply, can you post the results of the Startup Repair process from the SrtTrail.txt log file? It's usually located here: C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users