Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID 5 vs RAID 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

Hi,

Which would you recommend I use?
RAID 5 or RAID 10?

I will be using 4 x 500Gb WD Drives and I want to protect my data as I have recHope ently (yesterday) lost a hard drive :thumbsup: . And, I had all my iTunes Music on it which is kind of a pain in the butt.
I will be putting my iTunes Library on it, VMWare Images, Video Editing content on this array, so therefore I need it to be fast and reliable.
I will be using the RAID ports on my Asus P5Q Pro which has the Intel ICH10R Controller. This controller supports RAID 0, 1 5, 10.
Hope you can help ;)

Thanks

pcmaddeanp

Server Room Geek - IT Professionals Community

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:48 AM

Normally we would use a combination of RAID 1 and RAID 5.

We mirror the OS (RAID 1) and use the RAID 5 for the Data. Keeping them separate can help speed up access because you are keeping the OS separate from the Data.

I would get 2 smaller HDs (40 or 80GB) for the OS and use all of the larger drives for the RAID 5.

DR

#3 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hi,
Yeah, I'm going to use a 250Gb for OS, Programs, etc and RAID 5 4 Identical 500Gb WD Drives.
So you recommend RAID 5?

pcmaddeanp

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

If you are a gamer, RAID 5 would be the way to go due to the extra speed. I'm not sure I could trust a single drive for the OS. If the motherboard won't allow you to do the RAID 5 for Data as well as the RAID 1 for the OS, an extra PCI card would do it for just a few bucks. (and the cost of another hard drive of course)

Sounds like a plan.

DR

#5 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:42 PM

Yeah the motherboard can support more than 1 RAID at a time. I am going to be using RAID 5 for my data, media, etc and a 250Gb drive (or RAID 1 = 2 drives) for OS and progs.

pcmaddeanp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users