Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP hides Ubuntu?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 american.swan

american.swan

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:24 AM

My immediate employer at my location doesn't care that I use Ubuntu, but outside bosses at the main offices a good distance away do seem to care. Due to security worries they are now requiring only XP with Trojan software that phones home and guards against strange hackings.

If I have a fully compliant XP box, can I share it's Internet connection and the main office won't be able to easily recognize that there's a computer behind it? I can even put a router behind the XP box for an extra layer of distance.

I have the equipment and plenty of online help to set it up but I don't want to try if the main office is going to be calling the next day knowing something fishy is going on.

I guess the answer I'm looking for is either, No, the main office will clearly see the Ubuntu box or Yes they would have a hard time finding it and it's worth a try. Who knows, maybe the Trojan phone home programs will tell them something aint right?

Thanks in advance for a response.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:14 AM

While corps big and small are folding and laying off employees by the 10s of thousands during this time, I wonder if you have considered if it is worth risking your job?

Your questions likely violate the policies of BC as it won't allow any discussion of how to circumvent established security rules.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 american.swan

american.swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:57 AM

What I think I'm going to do is take my Ubuntu box off the "grid" by unplugging it's internet connection, but keep it, do all my critical work on it, and surf the web from insecure XP machines that are abundantly available outside my office.

When my Ubuntu laptop gets fixed, I'll probably transfer my data to it, convert the desktop back to XP and do the same. That way my work gets down without the stress of viruses and the like. security fears due to recent problems have caused the place to knock everyone back to sneaker net. If I have to use sneaker net, might as well run Ubuntu for the mission critical stuff.

#4 american.swan

american.swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:27 AM

I'd like to add to this. The more I think about it the more bugger hard it gets to hide a ubuntu machine on a network with an XP only policy. For a system admin maybe he could get away with it, but for an average joe in some department, it's nearly impossible. You'd have to not only hide the machine, you'd probably have to use CD's to update it because XP machines don't request data from Ubuntu update servers daily. Browsers identify their OS to websites and if you SSH or something to a computer at home, I'd get REALLY suspicious as a system admin in a hurry.

I think it isn't worth the trouble. Bugger hard. Not worth the trouble. Probably possible depending on the admin.

Don't bother trying is my advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users