Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DDR2 ram upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 arun in tech

arun in tech

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:17 AM

hello frnds.. help me to get a clear idea about upgrading my RAM in my Compaq-Presario desktop SR1931IL.. it has already a 512mb DDR2 memory.. if i add it with an additional 1GB memory whether it'll accept it and can i get a combined 1.5GB memory or else as i heard some problem regarding detecting the memory will occur..?.. and it'll accept any one memory either 512MB or 1GB... help to get a fine soln.. for tis..plz..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:36 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Are you sure of the memory amount? HP specifications indicate 1GB as standard:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...51389&lang=

The motherboard has dual channel memory architecture, so for optimum performance, DIMMs should be fitted in pairs, preferably matched, but at the very least of the exact same specification.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00496280

If the system has a single 512M DIMM, it could be returned to spec with the addition of another identical 512M in the other channel, giving 1GB at greater bandwidth. If you add a 1GB DIMM to give 1.5GB, it would need to be fitted to the same channel as the existing DIMM, most boards will accept this sort of combination, some want them in a specific order of size.

The best performance would be achieved by fitting 2 matched 1GB DIMMS to give dual channel operation.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:35 AM

Welcome to the Forums, It is best to install matched pairs, you will enjoy very fast boot, and better multi-tasking,Cheers!
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users