Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What in the world happened to IE?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:05 AM

I posted about this three months ago but I didn't get any replies. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem.

This all started when my IE desktop icon disappeared. It isn't listed under the programs in Start either. The only thing that I can click on to take me to IE is one of the Web links in Yahoo Messenger. However, it usually takes at least a couple of minutes to open, if it opens at all. A lot of the time a blank white window will open -- like IE is stuck or something. Then I have to repeat the process over again until it finally opens. I uninstalled and reinstalled but it didn't help. I scan my computer for malware but nothing is ever found. It is driving me absolutely batty that a) I have no idea why I have to hunt for a clickable icon to get on IE and b ) that it takes so long for IE to open.

I have a final research essay due by next week and I need IE to be working more efficiently to get my work done. I would really appreciate some advice. Any advice.

Thanks.

Edited by PCIlliterateGal, 12 December 2008 - 03:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:12 AM

Oh, and I can't find an icon for Windows Media Player either, if that helps any. Just like IE, it isn't listed under the Start menu. I have to look under My Music and click on an MP3 to open the media player. This is ridiculous.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:06 PM

Open up My Computer from your desktop or start menu.
Click on Drive C, then Program files.
Find the Internet Explorer folder, open it.
Look for the IE icon. RIGHT click on the icon, choose send to, then Desktop (create shortcut).

Repeat the same procedure for Windows Media Player from the WMP folder in Program Files.

To add them back to start menu, drag the icon from the file and drop it into Start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users