Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nasty little virus called logitech.exe

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gustech

gustech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:04 AM

I was helping out a friend clean up his system, ran adaware, spybot, spysweeper, AVG, norton corporate, and cleaned out most spywear,adaware, and a fee viruses,

now stuck with 2 , photo.exe and logitech.exe,

photo.exe could be removed following a few instruction at symantec's site.

I am going to be doing that latter this morning,

but logitech.exe is another story. I don't know where to begin with this one.

any suggestions for one or both of these would be a help.

thanks

Mod Edit - Moved this post to a forum where it will get the attention it deserves

Edited by Leurgy, 13 May 2005 - 08:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:31 AM

Hello gustech and welcome to Bleeping Computer

Can't find any info on logitech.exe except that its a mouse driver. Could this be a false positive perhaps? Which AV app is calling it a virus?

Edited by Leurgy, 13 May 2005 - 08:50 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:40 AM

Like Leurgy said its most likely a false positive.

Occasionally you can an app (AV or anti-spyware app) that does this. A-Squared is known for "false positives."

#4 gustech

gustech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:32 AM

Hello gustech and welcome to Bleeping Computer

Can't find any info on logitech.exe except that its a mouse driver. Could this be a false positive perhaps? Which AV app is calling it a virus?

Norton corporate edition

and there is no logitech mouse or mouse driver on this system.

thanks

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:44 AM

I'm coming down on the side of false positive. In checking around it seems this file is associated with a Logitech mouse, webcam and scanner. Norton seems to see it as Backweb, an automatic update feature that it doesn't like. If this machine doesn't have any logitech on it I would find and delete the file and remove any registry entries.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 thedruid241

thedruid241

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:47 PM

I think it's a web cam driver, check the make of your web cam

#7 GerbilSchooler

GerbilSchooler

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

This is a virus... and if it is not... I don't know what it is or how it got on my computer. I first thought it was software for my new logitech PC controller. Whether it is or not, it still throttles my GPU to 65-75 degrees celcius when my computer is idle (I close it and my GPU drops back to 25 to 35 degrees). I have to go into task manager and close it down. I want it off my computer but cannot find where it is running from. Any help would be appreciated! And please, people, help to answer the questions people ask and not just tell them things like "It's a false positive... don't worry about it" That is not helpful to anybody

#8 GerbilSchooler

GerbilSchooler

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Didn't realize this was so old... anyway. If anyone out there has any clue on how to help (without the aid of any stupid virus sweeping programs), I would appreciate it

#9 Dongta69

Dongta69

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

Logitech.exe? if all searches are saying that this is for logitech software then the last thought would be that it is a keylogger.

Can you please check your Appdata folders to see if there are any instances of it in any of the folders?

If there are, then please run malware rootkit scan it is available on this website as well.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

#10 GerbilSchooler

GerbilSchooler

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

It looks like there are instances, or at least files, of it popping up in C:\Windows\Prefetch, And the rest are all in C:\Users\FagTasm\AppData\Local\Temp, excepting one logitech file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meir's Civilization V\Assets\UI folder. Does this sound like a keylogger? And would a key logger throttle my GPU temps?

#11 GerbilSchooler

GerbilSchooler

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

And is there anyway I could just rename some of the files to render the virus inert? 

Sorry. Software is not my thing... 

#12 GerbilSchooler

GerbilSchooler

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

Well I ran that application you suggested and it did indeed flag a lot of logitech files in AppData as Trojan.BCMiner. So that is why my GPU temps get throttled, some a-hole is using my poor poor graphics card to mine stupid bitcoins... Anyway, I used the applications cleanup program to no avail. The logitech.exe still launches upon system start up... sigh. I don't want to have to reformat my 2TB drive... That's a lot of zeros and ones to lose. =(

#13 Dongta69

Dongta69

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

hi, you can download scotty the patrol to stop any startup that you dont want.

http://www.winpatrol.com/ here is the link.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:45 AM

logitech.exe is a well known infection that should be removed

Please see This Item from BleepingCpmputer files

Start with Step 6 from the Prep Guide and Post a new topic in the Malware Removal Logs area of the forum.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users