Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AntiVirus 2009

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HVS

HVS

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:41 PM

What does one do when the laptop/PC will not allow you to even open the newly installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program?

What does one do when the laptop/PC will not allow you to run a System Restore?

Is it possible that this malware (AntiVirus2009/2008) can literally "take over"...

I have been fighting with this bloody AntiVirus thing most of the day, today and..........I'm at my wits-end... blink.gif

(Yup...........I've rebooted (numerous times).....I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Malwarebytes (numerous times) and nothing seems to work...)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:05 PM

Try renaming the Malwarebytes executable to help.exe and retry installing it. What version of Windows are you using?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 TheIT3

TheIT3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

I had the same problem with a client's computer just yesterday. After nearly 10 hours spent on this, and being ready to tell him a full format is the only way, we finally fixed it.

Same problem with antivirus360 and antivirus2009, it had taken over my browser and wouldn't let me do certain things (installation, uninstallations, run malwarebytes, system restore).

What we did was run a scan using Avira Rescue, which we burned onto a CD from this link (using a workable computer which wasn't infected):

http://www.free-av.de/en/tools/12/avira_an...cue_system.html

Reboot the infected computer using the cd as a boot disk and run the antivirus scan (make sure in the configuration section you have selected for the program to take action on all errors found and rename if the files cannot be removed)

Once the scan is finished reboot your pc as normal again and install the latest version of Malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org and try again.

Hope this helps

#4 HVS

HVS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

I had the same problem with a client's computer just yesterday. After nearly 10 hours spent on this, and being ready to tell him a full format is the only way, we finally fixed it.

Same problem with antivirus360 and antivirus2009, it had taken over my browser and wouldn't let me do certain things (installation, uninstallations, run malwarebytes, system restore).

What we did was run a scan using Avira Rescue, which we burned onto a CD from this link (using a workable computer which wasn't infected):

http://www.free-av.de/en/tools/12/avira_an...cue_system.html

Reboot the infected computer using the cd as a boot disk and run the antivirus scan (make sure in the configuration section you have selected for the program to take action on all errors found and rename if the files cannot be removed)

Once the scan is finished reboot your pc as normal again and install the latest version of Malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org and try again.

Hope this helps

OK...................and here comes the "ignorant" question............

This Avira Rescue says it is Linux based. Am I safe burning the program onto a CD (on an uninfected PC of course) and then installing it onto the "infected" laptop (in safe mode) which runs on Windows XP???

Oh...........and to the other poster...........I tried renaming the Malwarebytes as suggested but.............no cigar.......but.........that could be me and not your instructions ..........thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by HVS, 12 December 2008 - 04:06 PM.

#5 TheIT3

TheIT3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:31 PM

well you don't actually install the Avira Rescue on your box, just boot it up from the cd and run the antivirus from there.

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

What version of Windows are you using?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 HVS

HVS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

What version of Windows are you using?

My daughter is running Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

Side Note:......I tried running a virus scan (using a newly downloaded AVG 8.0 disk) in "Safe Mode" last night but.............no good. This malware is really something and I really pity anyone who spends their so-called "productive life" designing "crap" like this but I am also a big believer in "What Goes Around....Comes Around" and this b--stard will get what's coming to him/her........someday :thumbsup:

#8 HVS

HVS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

So..............................is this Avira Antivirus safe to load and run on a Windows based operating system ???

#9 HVS

HVS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:02 PM

So..............................is this Avira Antivirus safe to load and run on a Windows based operating system ???

Well...............being impatient................I went ahead and downloaded (on another PC that is "not" infected) the Avira and "tried" to reboot the "infected" laptop with it and I cannot get it to work.

Pardon my ignorance but..............isn't a "reboot / boot" CD supposed to open automatically when a computer is turned on?
If this Avira program must be installed before it can/will work, won't the AntiVirus2009 malware automatically defeat those attempts?

Side Note:

I was finally able to get SpyBot to run in "SafeMode" and it is reporting Malwarebytes to be a "Problem".

Is there any "sense" in all of this or is all of this just a "huge ploy" by software writers to sell software... :thumbsup:

("No" offense meant to anyone on this forum...)

Edited by HVS, 14 December 2008 - 12:10 PM.

#10 TheIT3

TheIT3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

Hi, sorry for the late reply... the Avira boot cd is meant to boot automatically when you fire your pc up with the cd in the drive. When you do this there should be an option to "press any key to boot from CD" ...do this and it should boot the Avira program straight from the cd, simulating a Linux operating system environment. If you get as far as to see the Windows page starting up you've gone too far.

You don't actually install or copy files from that cd, the program will run straight from the disc.

The computer we were working on was also WinXP Home Edition and SP3, so I'd assume this should work for you too unless your PC is not set up to boot from CD.

Malwarebytes is the only one I've come across (which is free) that will remove the antivirus2009 or antivirus360 viruses. Not sure if it's any point running Spybot at this stage anyway.

#11 HVS

HVS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

Well.................................

Being the impatient person I am, here's what I did and.............................by gawd...............it worked :inlove:

Rebooted the laptop in "Safe Mode" (F5 on open) and was able to get Spybot to run. (None of the other anti virus/anti malware software would run "properly" in Safe Mode.......for me anyway...)

Spybot ran a full scan and.................low and behold it picked up on everything that this bloody AntiVirus2009 had brought with it and.........quickly destroyed it.

I immediately ran an update on the Spybot software my daughter had installed and also ran an update on her anti virus (AVG free version) and..........so far everything is running smooth as silk.... :thumbsup: (She's also been put on notice that a scan of her hard drive using Spybot and her AVG are an absolute...MUST, at least twice weekly or.......don't come running to Daddy for help next time........yeah right... :trumpet: )

Also.............I installed FireFox and had her discontinue using IE after reading all the recent horror stories about IE viruses out there today and........I personally think the FireFox is a much better/more stable browser anyway.

Thanks all for your help and...........keep a light burning for me in the window because...........I'm sure I'll be back... :flowers:

Edited by HVS, 16 December 2008 - 06:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users