Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE7 Hanging/freezing/locking up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fieryscot

fieryscot

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:22 PM

Hello,

I am using windows XP and my computer has been hanging/freezing/locking up a lot lately.

When I am surfing the internet, web pages are loading very slowly and when I have multiple tabs open IE7 hangs/freezes/locks up when changing tabs.

This is happening constantly and I have to ctrl alt delete to end the programs that are not responding.

I have noticed that in the task manager, iexplore.exe is sucking up all the CPU.

I have tried everything under the sun to correct this problem with no luck.

I have already been to the malware forum and my computer is clean in that respect.

I have done all the usual routine housekeeping tasks as well.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:12 AM

This is a stab in the dark, since you have stated that you've done regular housekeeping, I'm wondering if maybe the Linkscanner Toolbar (or other toolbars) in AVG is causing you problems.

Linkscanner FAQ

#3 fieryscot

fieryscot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

Hi,

I have already played around with the AVG linkscanner toolbar and tried using IE with add ons disabled.

Also tried the firefox browser but that wasn't any better.

Sorry I couldn't list all the things that I have tried because there is so many of them.

Im wondering if its maybe a problem with my computer, rather than IE?

Thanks for responding.

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:38 PM

Yeah it could be. Lockups are hard to diagnose. I just remember when I tried AVG, I experienced, as have others, sudden slow downs & instability on my pc until I removed it. Might be worth uninstalling to give you a better idea if that's the cause or not.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 13 December 2008 - 06:52 PM.

#5 fieryscot

fieryscot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

Okay, thanks, I will give that a try and see what happens.

#6 fieryscot

fieryscot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

Hi,

I have tried what you suggested and unfortunately that was not the cause of my problem.

Any other thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users