Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

scannow needs CD, XP pre-installed on PC - Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 samm

samm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

Hi,

I was directed to these forums from Icrontic forums where they have been helping me with a major virus clean-out.

After the clean-up, I noticed some problems with Windows XP:

1. Emoticons in Yahoo messenger, MSN etc do not show up - I just get blank boxes no images.
2. Windows Help files (in particular), have broken images and missing images wherever, they should be present in help text.

It was suggested I run:

Go to Start > Run, enter sfc /scannow ( note the space between the "c" and "/" ) and click on OK.

When I did this, I got a message insert you Windows XP CD for files to be copied into the DLL cache.

My problem is the computer has a pre-installed version of Windows XP Home Edition. So, I have no CD from the manufacturer.

How can I fix my problem without this CD? I have not found a c:\i386 folder either.

Thx for any help with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:32 PM

Its likely that you have a hidden partition on your hdd that has these files as part of a ghost image, if you dont have the cd downloading and installing the latest service pack can often fix these problems, however installing service packs can also be a little bit risky.

So first i would try
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
number 141 - help chm fixer / repair

then i would try to borrow a cd from a friend, you will need to get one thats the same version (xp home or xp pro)

Normally you can purchase the cd media from the company (HP, Dell etc) you can try giving them a call

Then i would try installing service pack 3 for winxp. (but remember even though service packs should just work they sometimes dont, and your windows can end up unusable)

If it is a really problematic issue you can use the system recovery option, but this usually wipes all the data on your hdd and puts a new fresh copy back on, which will be missing your emails, pics apps and others, so you would have to backup any data you wanted to keep and reinstall everything.

The problem with the emoticons is a lot of them are adware or worse, and i would say that during the cleanup of your system the emoticons got removed.

#3 samm

samm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

Thx,

I will try your suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users