Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kris1970

kris1970

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:26 AM

hi,

i have a new samsung 120G hard drive. i also have a copy of windows 2000. is it best to format on FAT32 or NTFS? is it an easy process to format NTFS? because i have only done FAT32 before and i dont want to ruin or damage my new drive.

thanks

kris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhdeav

jhdeav

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:31 AM

I am no geek by any measure but I would go with NTFS. It is not hard, just chooes NTFS at the selection prompt. Here is a link that explains some of the advantages of NTFS. One thing to remember though, if you plan on reinstalling files or data from your old hard drive that was formatted in FAT 32 you could have a problem there. Someone else in this forum may have a little more knowledge on that than I do.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index...&ArticleID=3455

#3 kris1970

kris1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:37 AM

thanks much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users