Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need some quick help on windows vista 64bit

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kakorot

kakorot

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

Alright well my problem is i read on different sites what ram is more suitable for it well il post what my ram im getting and other stuff down here and tell me if you think a 64bit business edition of vista will work fine on my computer

my processor is - Intel Core i7 Processor 920 (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

ram - 3 GB [1 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Triple Memory Module Corsair Value or Major Brand )

video card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB w/DVI + TV Out Video

alright well this is basically what i orderd will a 64 bit windows vista business run fine with these or should i upgrade my ram to 6gb?..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kakorot

kakorot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

anyone know.. i really wanna find this out so i can know what to do ahead of time before it comes

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:55 AM

I'd go for the larger amount of memory if you really want to use 64bit. Part of the reason for the move to 64bit computing is because with 32bit the OS is so cramped being limited to less than 4GB.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 kakorot

kakorot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:46 AM

I'd go for the larger amount of memory if you really want to use 64bit. Part of the reason for the move to 64bit computing is because with 32bit the OS is so cramped being limited to less than 4GB.

can you just tell me cause i already orderd the 64 bit will it work fine with 3 gb will there be no problems.. thats my main question

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:31 AM

Yes, it will work fine with the 3gB of RAM. If you want to add more memory later on, you'll have to figure out the maximum amount of memory that your motherboard can handle (and the maximum that each slot can handle).

Also, I'm not sure about this, but I think that (for optimum performance) you'll have to run matched modules in sets of 3.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:50 PM

As usasma says, it should work OK for you. Compared to 32bit Windows, 64bit Windows needs a bit more memory for running itself, so if you run a very large application, or several things at once, you might get a performance hit a little sooner from the system needing to use the pagefile. But if you intend to run any 64bit software, now or in the future, it's 64bit you need, and if you've ordered an OEM Windows, you had to choose one or the other.

If your motherboard is one of the ones with three or four memory slots, the 3GB would have to be replaced anyway to upgrade.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:03 AM

Due to swollen memory pointers, items in memory on a 64-bit OS will take up slightly more space. Given the specs of your PC, you should use as much RAM as you can get. Your motherboard has six memory slots, given the expense of DDR3 memory above 2GB sticks, you should populate the slots with 2GB each of memory for maximum value. Most motherboards supporting i7 processors can support about 24GB of RAM. As a side note, unless your using the PC with a business, you should get Vista Home Premium or Ultimate.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users