Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard not detected!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

My friend has a Dell PC that is running windows XP. I noticed that her computer was loading very slowly at start - up. Therefore I disabled all of her start up items and was planning on restoring the important ones after the computer booted back up. I have done this on my laptop many times without anything going wrong. On starting the computer back up I came to a black screen before windows booted up. It said press delete to enter the set up. Unfortunately I could not do this as the keyboard was not working. The keyboard and mouse are attached through the old plug system, not a USB port. My guess is that disabling the start up items may have affected the keyboard/mouse from working. I was thinking of a few options to fix the problem.

1. Put in a plug and play keyboard with a USB connection and hope this works.
2. Attaching my laptop to the PC via a VGA chord and having full access to my keyboard.
3. starting up in safety mode and enabling all the start up items and then booting in normal mode.

Are these options good ones, any other's you would recommend. Thanks for any tips.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:36 PM

Disabling the startup shouldnt effect the keyboard if they are ps/2, try powering the pc fully off, disconnecting and reconnecting the mouse and keyboard (remember the colour coding) or if not colour coded and doesnt work just try the keyboard in the other port.

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

Disabling the startup shouldnt effect the keyboard if they are ps/2, try powering the pc fully off, disconnecting and reconnecting the mouse and keyboard (remember the colour coding) or if not colour coded and doesnt work just try the keyboard in the other port.

Thanks for the suggestions; Will try this when I go down to my friends place in NY on the weekend of Dec 20th.

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:21 AM

I am still having the problem of the black screen that pops up before windows that say's press delete to enter the set up. A few occasions I get passed this screen and it logs into windows and everything is fine. The problem is when I turn the computer off, sometimes it boots up and get's stuck on this screen again. I have tried the keyboard, mouse via USB connection and doesn't seem to help. Once I am in windows it say's that one of the USB ports is not recognized (error), but the keyboard and Mouse still work fine. I tried F8, with no luck. Seems weird and I am really at a loss to figure out what is going on. Please help ASAP. Thanks.

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestions; Will try this when I go down to my friends place in NY on the weekend of Dec 20th.

I am still having the problem of the black screen that pops up before windows that say's press delete to enter the set up. A few occasions I get passed this screen and it logs into windows and everything is fine. The problem is when I turn the computer off, sometimes it boots up and get's stuck on this screen again. I have tried the keyboard, mouse via USB connection and doesn't seem to help. Once I am in windows it say's that one of the USB ports is not recognized (error), but the keyboard and Mouse still work fine. I tried F8, with no luck. Seems weird and I am really at a loss to figure out what is going on. Please help ASAP. Thanks.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users