Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pleaseeee help! strange things here and there on my computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 belezaj16

belezaj16

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

sorry to all who are reading i cannot use any punctuation or anything while im typing because strange things all of a sudden started happening so please hang with me at the moment and my poor punctuation or lack there of haha

well my sister was on the computer and she noticed that all of a sudden on the desktop that all of the icons were highlighted
whenever i try to click on just one icon all of the icons above it also get highlighted as if i want to open them

another thing is that (im using firefox but she wasnt when this happened) on any internet browser i cannot use any punctuation such as a period or i get this: >
as if everything is on shift at all times
also if i type with the caps button off i get THESE LETTERS ALL THE TIME so i turned the button on in order to get lowercase letters so as to not appear to be screaming lol

some other things are that while in an internet browser everytime i open a new link it opens a new window instead of using tabs like i normally use
also i cannot scroll like usual i have to hold down the sidebar and go down but when i let go it takes me to the very top of the page once again which is veryyyy annoying to say the least

i have no idea if this is a virus or maybe my sister accidentally pushed any buttons but if you could help please i"d really appreciate it very much asap

thanks again!!!!!!

Edited by belezaj16, 11 December 2008 - 07:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

I guess your shift button is getting stuck down, try tapping both shift key fairly hard and see if they come back up properly

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:10 PM

Yep, all are symptoms of the shift key being pressed. There are some likely culprits:

1. Most likely it's the keyboard itself. Like charybdis said, try pressing both really hard. Or try prying them up a little bit. If these don't work, you might need to look into fixing a keyboard or buying a new one.
2. If using a different one doesn't work, which is unlikely, then it's the driver. Reinstall the keyboard driver.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:30 PM

Hi. I am just letting you all know that I am moving this to the External Hardware forum.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 belezaj16

belezaj16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:29 AM

well thank you everybody for the fast responses! :]
It turns out my sister failed to mention something about pressing the SHIFT button for awhile.
As you can see all my normal functions are back and everything's all squared away. lol
I really appreciate the help.. even though I feel pretty dumb because of a minute problem, haha!

have a great day everyone.
problem solved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users