Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot up

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 angel77

angel77

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Hi all,

I am not sure I am posting this question in the right spot, its my first post so please forgive me if I messed up. I have a HP desktop computer running Windows XP. Recently both my cd drives stopped working. In an attempt to fix this problem I have messed up BAD. My coumpter will not boot up. It turns on and the HP Invent blue screen comes on then nothing else happens! It is just frozen. I have tried hitting every key and it does nothing. Any suggestions? I am so afraid I have lost everything. This is my work computer so I am desperate.

Thank you in advance for possibly trying to help.
Abbey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 angel77

angel77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

Also, this was the last thing I downloaded and ran before I tried to reboot the computer:
https://www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/sup...randind=5000004
I know I do not have an IBM but I got this from another forum and it worked for someone else, so I had hoped it would work for me....

#3 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

Looks like you may have killed your cd's drives in your pc, try disconnecting both cd drives and see if it boots as it sounds like the pc is hanging on drive detection.

NOTE: Firmware and Bios updates can be dangerous and shouldnt be done unless they match the hardware exactly.

Edited by Charybdis, 11 December 2008 - 05:39 PM.

#4 angel77

angel77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

Thank you. Ok, so I tried disconnecting the Cd and Dvd drive and then starting up. Now it says - Boot failure, insert disk and press enter? What disk? Does this mean I lost everything?

Edited by angel77, 11 December 2008 - 05:40 PM.

#5 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:50 PM

No its sounds like you have disconnected the hdd as well, check the cables to the hdd and make sure there is a power cable and a data cable plugged into it.

#6 angel77

angel77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:28 PM

Thank you. I got to boot up with no data lost! I am backing up everything right now just in case! I still have the CD problem but I happy at the moment. Thank you.

#7 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

No problem, however i do think your cd drive is a lost cause and you might need a new one.

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

May one just pass comment that it is very unwise to follow instructions given to someone else ; their problems will be unique to/for them ; also, as said above, you need to ensure that what you download and install is compatible with your OS ..else you will get problems :thumbsup:

#9 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

@Charybdis: What about setting the hard drive as the fist option in the boot order (in Bios set up) to make sure Windows boot. Then remove the wrong driver. After that connecting the disconnected devices and let Windows install the right driver ?

Edited by farbar, 12 December 2008 - 11:51 AM.

#10 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

@Charybdis: What about setting the hard drive as the fist option in the boot order (in Bios set up) to make sure Windows boot. Then remove the wrong driver. After that connecting the disconnected devices and let Windows install the right driver ?

I think the pc was hanging at ide detection on bios, so it wasnt a driver problem but the cd drive stopping the detection routine of the ide devices at the bios level after it had an incorrect firmware update applied to it.

Edited by Charybdis, 13 December 2008 - 06:59 PM.

#11 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,708 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:05 AM

First I think you did an excellent job detecting the problem and resolving the boot issue. :thumbsup:

I thank you in place of the original poster. :flowers:

When I used the word "driver", I meant the firmware. What I though was that the DVD/CD-Rom was first in boot sequence. Windows didn't boot might be because it could not read the DVD/Cd-Rom and hang there.

No if the user uninstall/remove the firmware and reconnect the device the Windows might install the right driver. Rolling back the driver in device manger might tried also.

The question is why do you thing the CD drive is a lost cause?

#12 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:25 PM

The question is why do you think the CD drive is a lost cause?

because it wont pass the post with the cd drive connected because the firmware of the cd drive is saying its something else, so its next to impossible to undo the firmware change. Windows doesnt have a chance of doing anything unless OP gets and external drive caddy, connects it and the the caddy detects a device with broken firmware, which is very unlikely as the broken firmware is stopping correct device identification. If it was just having issues booting from the cd drive it would have failed to detect a boot media capable of booting and then went to boot of the hdd anyway. and mostly because im yet to see a device with the wrong firmware applied to it work afterwards.

#13 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,708 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:29 PM

Thanks Charybdis for the explanation.

#14 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:37 PM

No problemo, always happy to help :thumbsup:

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:58 AM

CD-ROM's/DVD-ROM's are cheap now adays so you can buy a couple for under 50 bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users