Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with an issue with Windows XP Home Edition Setup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thehawk

thehawk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

I am in the blue setup screen trying to put windows xp home edition on my laptop. It is saying Setup cannot find a previous version of windows installed *I removed and re-created a new partition for my HDD* on your computer. To continue, Setup needs to verify that you qualify to use this upgrade product.

Then it says when the CD is in drive *which it is* hit enter

I hit enter

i see loading.. then says dosnet.inf where the loading... was then just takes me back to the same setup page i was at.

Also when I try chkdsk it says "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

Any help on how I can get XP to install would be greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

First it sounds like you have an upgrade only install cd, and when its asking for a previous version its asking for a windows 98 or windows ME or windosw 2000 cd. The second issue is that your hard drive looks like it has issues as well, if possible take your hdd out of your system and put in another system and do a checkdisk from their copy of windows, however if you feel uncomfortable doing that or cant, when you do the install next delete the partition and recreate it and format it do a slow format as this will usually bring up any physical errors the drive might have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users