Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating Superantispyware ; what method?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

Advise requested please :flowers:

I have on my Win 98se computer the Superantispyware program; normally I do its updating by opening the program via the Desktop icon which presents me with the Desktop display and access to the update tab ; If I do the update via this method I get a routine update

However, if I attempt to update via the System Tray icon I am presented with this

Posted Image

If I continue with THIS update method I am presented with

Posted Image

which gives me a lot of updated NOT available on the Desktop method of update

As I wish to ensure I have updates compatible with my windows version , do not wish an update that will crash and disable my computer :trumpet:

and as the updates via this second method contain exes , I wish to know if the second method of system tray icon updating is 'safe' :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:00 PM

Hi ruby1,

When you update through the Superantispyware interface on your desktop, these are signature updates that are used for detecting malware and such.

When an update appears or is offered [for Superantispyware] in the system tray, this is a program update, meaning that a newer version of Superantispyware has been released and is available for download.

Both of these type of updates should be downloaded/installed to ensure Superantispyware is working at maximum efficiency.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

EDIT: When you're installing a program update, always perform the update from an Administrator Account and always reboot afterwards to ensure the program installs properly.

Edited by RedDawn, 11 December 2008 - 08:10 PM.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:45 AM

When you update through the Superantispyware interface on your desktop, these are signature updates that are used for detecting malware and such.

You seem to have fallen very nicely into the trap of referring to the computer Desktop as a desktop :thumbsup:

the desktop is where I have all my papers etc for study and the place on which my computer rests ; the Desktop is on my computer where all the icons are displayed; such error seems commonplace in instructions given by many people on this and other forums even among experienced computer- users :flowers:

I will see how I get on with the main updates ........

#4 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

You seem to have fallen very nicely into the trap of referring to the computer Desktop as a desktop :thumbsup:

Perhaps it's because it is one of the proper names for the main interface of the Windows OS.
  • Desktop:
  • The visual work area that fills the screen. The desktop is also a container and can be used as a convenient location to place objects stored in the file system. - Microsoft
  • Is the background screen on the computer. It consists of pictures, called icons, that show cabinets, files, folders, and various types of documents. - http://www.its.strath.ac.uk/helpdesk/glossary/#d.en.44346
For more definitions on what a desktop is, see Google Define.

I don't see where RedDawn's choice of words is a problem or an error. SAS opens on the desktop no?
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:10 PM

You seem to have fallen very nicely into the trap of referring to the computer Desktop as a desktop whistling.gif

Did you really think that RedDawn was instructing you on how SAS works on the flat surface upon which your computer rests? Please tell me that you were trying to be funny. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users