Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BOOT From USB with Network support

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mediumkuriboh

mediumkuriboh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:17 PM

I have a 20+ Pcs where i need to install XP, these Pcs doesn't have CDRoms (Even if they have i want to the process in parallel), nor floppy drives, thus i need to be able to install XP over the network. Until now nothing worked fine. I tried some articles on internet, but nothing worked right.
The best thing i got is doing this (Wish is messed up):

1- Use "bart network floppy boot disk", i made i made a floppy the floppy works fine.
2- Use "HP Flash" to flash my usb drive and make it bootable by creating dos bootdisk on it. (i used my network boot disk from above to get these "dos startup files")
3- copy and past the floppy content to my usb drive (and override when it asks me to, in fact i overrided command.com and config.sys and a 3rd file related to dos)
4- okay now i have something that works, a bootable usb, plug and restart on a pc, it worked fine, i even was able to connect to other PC using the network client integrated in the bootup disk. But then i got the problem...

Actually i connected to the installation folder right, but then since it is a DOS boot disk, i can't run winnt32.exe, i just can run winnt.exe, and when i enter to installation it asks me to enable smartdrive to improve performance (not sure what was that), then it tells me that it can't install DISK1, and it tells me the name of some file, wish i am sure i have it in my shared XP installation.

I think i messed up everything from the start, so i wonder is there some good way (and simple), that really works, to install XP on machines without neither CDROM, or floppy.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

If your trying to boot from USB, then you need to go to your BIOS settings and change it.

If your computer is "HP"

When you see the BLUE HP Screen at startup quickly press F1. This will take you to your BIOS settings.

Then you need to use the arrow keys to move right and select BOOT". Scroll down until you see your booting config, and make sure that USB ZIP is selected first. Then restart your computer.

And you should be able to boot from USB.

~StickDude101

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users