Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Virus Response Lab 2009"

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 HCD1

HCD1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

Hi -

I had the same exact experience as Heather5, but unforuntately I DID click the button saying to download "Virus Response Lab 2009". The way this virus so effectively mimicked Microsoft was very unsettling. I was panicked about having a virus, and all the windows looked legitimate. So I downloaded Virus Response Lab 2009, not knowing it was further infecting my computer. Before I realized I had been hijacked, I also made a very serious mistake of I clicking "send" when prompted to share "important information about the virus with Microsoft" so Microsoft could learn about the virus and try to combat it. I unwittingly clicked "send" thinking I was communicating with Microsoft, and I now believe I was actually transmitting my personal information to the criminals. I clicked send 2-3 times before realizing I was being duped. (Stupid, I know.)

My computer had all the same problems as Heather5 outlined above. I was able to get help and have all the viruses removed. (Apparently, other viruses were attached to this one and my computer had over 47 viruses when we ran the scan.)

My question is:

What was contained in the information that I inadvertently sent to the cybercriminals? What are they trying to accomplish with this virus? Are they stealing passwords and account numbers for my financial accounts? Are they stealing documents and information from my hard drive?

I have already changed all of my online account passwords, whether they were are financial institutions or otherwise.
I have filed fraud alerts with all three credit bureaus.
I haven't seen any charges or transactions on any cards or in any of my accounts.
I am in the process of closing credit card accounts and getting new numbers just to be safe.

But what I'm really worried about is whether they were able to access my social security number, which would really do some damage. I have one document on my hard drive (my will) which contains not only my SSN, but those of my family as well.

HELP?!

I would like to know more about the intent of the virus, what I might have sent them, and what I can do to protect myself and my family.

Thanks,
HCD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users