Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much RAM should I add?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yellowdog5

yellowdog5

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

My computer has Intel D845WN and Windows XP professional. Currently only 127mb of RAM are installed. The places that sell RAM recommend mostly to add 512mb, but one of them recommends 1gb. I assume this is in addition to the 127mb already installed. Which should I install, 512mb or 1gb? I do some photo editing, but nothing really complicated. The biggest problem I have is the higher resolution photos sometimes slow everything down.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gob1

gob1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:53 PM

:thumbsup: It apperas you are runing a Pentium 4 system, You have to use PC133 SDRAMM only, there are 3 DIMM slots on the motherboard it cam support up to 3 GB. What you see of 127 mb is more than 128mb SDRMM. It is possible that you may have to update your BIOS. Check inside your computer and see if you have two open slots. Some sites say you can only populate each slot with 512mb max. I don't yhink so. I depends how much you want to spend, you can add a 512mb SDRAMM and see if it does what you want, it might be OK if now then you can get another 512MB stick. Hope this helps you. Good luck check itnel site for info or your manual if you still have it.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:42 PM

If you go with some one like Crucial you are going to be looking at about $150.00 to max out your RAM. I have a friend that just purchased a Emachine for $200.00, 3GB of RAM, a dual core AMD CPU, a 200+GB hdd, a DVD-RW, and Vista home premium. I would seriously look into purchasing another computer rather than invest anymore money in a machine this old.

Edited by dc3, 11 December 2008 - 01:45 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:17 AM

its a old computer that uses sd ram
i wouldent waste money on it
and sd ram can be really expensive

#5 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

Well, I finally got what I wanted. I found 2 sticks on ebay, 512mb each, that Intel has had tested for my board, and I also added a usb2.0 card. (be careful on ebay, check out the product, and make sure the seller will stand behind it). Including the antistatic strap and the canned air, it was only $80! The difference is awesome! If it only lasts a couple of weeks, it will be worth it! Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users